Want to code for XenForo? Use Eclipse PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuyenmotdivad

OMG Member
Never heard of that program is it better than XAMPP?

Damn, Windows 32bit, i'm using windows 7 64 bit...:eek:

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I've got no problems with the loading of the program. It's faster than when I load FireFox haha.

I'll give anyone a "LIKE!" if they can tell me why Java programs load slower than other applications... Such as C applications and such.

Blandt

OMG Member
I'll give anyone a "LIKE!" if they can tell me why Java programs load slower than other applications... Such as C applications and such.

Java uses "just in time" compiling, and it works on any platform (Nix, windows, mac os phones .... etc ...)
JVM (Java Virtual Machine) will interpret the compiled bytecode into instructions understandable by that specific platform
code once run everywhere comes with a price ;)

Haha. You explained it in more technical terms than I would have:

All Java programs are run inside of a program. So its a program inside of a program, hence, slower.

Oh... and you gots a like.

Kentaurus

OMG Member
Free download: PHP IDE @ http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/downloads/

I have been using that for some time now. Pretty good, really. Gives me code autocomplete and navigation which is the most I use. I would just wish that the XenForo developers added more /* var */ comments to their local variables when auto-discover is not possible (for example when dynamically resolving helpers or models).

Jaxel

OMG Member
I actually explain Java to people a little differently...

Java uses a language incomprehensible to a normal computer. Its designed for a Java-based operating system; that pretty much doesn't exist. Just like if you were trying to run a windows program on your OS10.5 computer, you will need a virtual machine emulator for your computer to understand it because they are inherently different operating systems. So when you run a Java program, you are loading the program into a virtual machine emulator that pretends to be this innocuous Java-based operating, which in turn translates the machine code into a language your computer can understand.

This translation takes time and resources and explains why Java programs always run so much slower than anything else. Theoretically, if you had this Java-based operating system installed on your computer, and you ran these Java programs natively, they would be smooth as butter; possibly even better than any program you've ever used in recent memory due to the RISC nature of the language.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Wow, I did not follow this thread after unwatching it by accident - finding it again just to see some great responses. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.