What kind of virus software do you prefer to use?

Em95

OMG Member
When it comes to your PC or mac or whatever type of device you use, you probably need some sort of virus software for protection. Do you guys use certain virus software? Like Nortan or something? I use Windows virus software, as I feel that's more than enough. What about you though?

What do they use on Mac? Linux? and other operating systems and devices?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I am a Mac user, I don't really use anti virus software. But I do take some precautions. I keep the security patches on the OS up to date, I don't read emails I didn't ask for. I don't accept html emails (unless whitelisted), and I don't click on links I didn't ask for. Some basic common sense can prevent a lot from happening.

Oh, I also don't install apps that are from unverified developers or from some site we've never heard about.

Additionally I keep an eye on weird behavior on my system, I keep an eye on running processes, and about once a year I temporarily install an anti virus app that just scans the system and reports back on concerns. Then I uninstall it again.

CraftKitten21

OMG Member
I use Linux and prefer opensource. I like my privacy and I like to have more freedoms over my own computer. I used windows for many years but since switching to Linux, I am no going back. I never liked mac. I tried to like it but just never could.

Floris

Staff member
I use Linux and prefer opensource. I like my privacy and I like to have more freedoms over my own computer. I used windows for many years but since switching to Linux, I am no going back. I never liked mac. I tried to like it but just never could.
Open source is great, but I do feel that people just assume it's being vetted and that code is perfect. The consequences can be just as dramatic. Thankfully when there's an issue it's found rather quickly and can hurt the project's reputation. So hopefully enough people do check what open source projects they get, and compare the source code vs the compiled builds. etc.

I've always liked macOS, sorry :) But that is why there's choice. I like the old Atari GUI and macOS has that feel for me. And it still has *nix under the hood, which I prefer. I think we just have to use what suits our needs. If I was a twitch streamer and gamer I would use Windows for example.

Yay for choice.

BigDave

OMG Member
I heard that Linux is pretty good when it comes to viruses, and most of them are for windows right? Do you still have a virus program that you use? I know it's more rare for viruses on linux, but I know it can be done and people have done it. I had Ubuntu years ago, and I know I used a virus program once, but forgot what it was called.

Floris

Staff member
I heard that Linux is pretty good when it comes to viruses, and most of them are for windows right? Do you still have a virus program that you use? I know it's more rare for viruses on linux, but I know it can be done and people have done it. I had Ubuntu years ago, and I know I used a virus program once, but forgot what it was called.
Once you get a backdoor on your linux box, you're so screwed, it's so much easier to hide it :P