What kinds/types of books?

zararina

OMG Member
Do you like  to read books? What kinds of books do you really enjoy reading?

I seldom read books but if i could find a book that really get my attention, i will read it from cover to cover. I like to read books about true to life stories, science fiction, mystery and horror, world record books and reader's digest books.

Last edited by a moderator:

reallyneatgirl

OMG Member
I love to read and I will read just about anything that I am able to land my hands on. I would say that I lean towards sci-fi/fantasy, simply because I like to slip away into worlds that are imagination. Those are the worlds were you really don't know what is going to happen next.

pqnation

OMG Member
My favorite genres to read are sci-fi, drama, mystery, and history. I used to read at least one book every other week, now I'm only reading one book every few months. I guess people get busy.

Julia_oth

OMG Member
I have collections of readers digest books. I found this book very informative and it covers different topics.

artistry

OMG Member
I love books, I find as most people who like to read do, that books open up many new worlds for you, at any age. I can remember when I was very young, my parents would cut the lights off so that we would go to sleep. I would take a flashlight and get under the bed covers to keep read my bools. I loved reading books. My dad liked to read and so I am sure I got the trait from him. I like history books, I like to read about the different presidents. Such as how President Lincoln took those who were not so fond of him and put them in his cabinet. Shrewd move. Also President Truman, making the "do nothing" Congress his foil. I also like to collect books. Books are great. Reading is good. Cheers.

mommymumbles

OMG Member
I do love to read but it is hard with 3 kids to find the time, aargh! But when I do get a chance, I love mysteries (Agatha Christie is one of my all-time favorites-I re-read her books whenever I can, hehe!) and of course romance :love:

I enjoy reading that is light and entertaining for the most part though. Enough drama and stress in everyday life, I want my reading time to be fun and relaxing, kwim?

GCW

OMG Member
Honestly, reading is too boring for me to actually like. I don't know how people can just sit there and happily look at walls of text like that. o_O

Call me lazy, call me whatever you want; but in order for me to actually like a book, it has to be something I'm completely interested in.

LucasMom

OMG Member
I love to read. What I read depends on my mood. My favorite genres are fantasty and sci-fi, but I'll read anything. I like romance novels when I just want a quick read that I don't have to think about. But fantasy is the best for a good escape read. If its a good author then you can just loose yourself in the book.

Cecille

Your friendly neighbor
I love reading, and I am not into its cover title. I am after its story plot. And if it is that interesting, I would definitely read it until the ending.

Among my favorite book genres are:

• romance
  • thriller
  • sci-fi
  • mystery
  • educational (encyclopedia, almanac, and reader's digest)
  • fashion-related

PAF_2

OMG Member
I think one of my favorite genre's to read is romance. My mother use to love to read the Harlequin novels back in the day, so when I was a teenager I started to read them as well. I also found that over time I started liking other genres as well, such as mainstream fiction. I also like to read self improvement type books.

cisco

OMG Member
Do you like to read books? What kinds of books do you really enjoy reading?

I seldom read books but if i could find a book that really get my attention, i will read it from cover to cover. I like to read books about true to life stories, science fiction, mystery and horror, world record books and reader's digest books.

I'm quite a reader of most books. I enjoy the escapism of fiction as much as factual non fiction.

I have two ways I choose books. The one I like the most is, my wife who is also an avid reader, will hand one over to me and say I think you will like this. :)

The other is to read book reviews and also find the latest book prize short lists and order them into my library. This sometimes fails miserably and I've handed a few back mostly unread.

You have to know when to hold and know when to fold. > :(

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
I like reading textbooks mostly.  It's been a long time since I've read book with a story.

Over the years, I've enjoyed reading psychology books.  I also like reading about modern history, as well as books about astronomy.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
I like Fantasy books :)

Though recently I've been reading crime and thriller books.

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
I own quite a number of books that I keep in my bedroom.  I like to have books on a number of different subjects, such as history, psychology, medicine, NFL football and more because I have an interest in a lot of different subjects and don't always want to read off the internet.

Fetter

More fun than a barrel of STDs
Lately it's been mostly non-fiction, particularly historical and religious texts. I keep meaning to get my hands on some of the Gnostic Christian writings but it's hard to find them in a digital format.

Other than that I've had a soft spot for the more "dark" hard fantasy/sci-fi stuff, especially The Book Of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe. The writing is amazing, his use of so many archaic and "obscure" words is right up my alley.

Shayna

OMG Member
I know this is an old thread, but found it while searching if people actually use almanacs these days. I'm just not seeing any (other than the usual "farmers alamanac" at the checkout stands). Currently, I work at a place where students sell textbooks and when I'm working at the receiving dept., just about every imaginable topic crosses the table -- except almanacs! I see books on astronomy, math, science, cooking, engine mechanics, etc., etc., you get the idea, but never anything with "almanac" in the title. Can anyone direct/suggest where I could look? When I was little, it was always neat to have our set of encyclopedias to look at, but nowadays (having sold the encyclopedias long ago), I kinda wish I had something to read and browse. Looking stuff up on the computer is fine, but there is something to be said about having something physical to look at!

...because I have an interest in a lot of different subjects and don't always want to read off the internet.
My sentiments, exactly! I love the convenience of looking stuff up on the 'net, but sometimes being able to sit down with a book in hand is quite enjoyable!

PixelFool

OMG Member
I know this is an old thread, but found it while searching if people actually use almanacs these days. I'm just not seeing any (other than the usual "farmers alamanac" at the checkout stands). Currently, I work at a place where students sell textbooks and when I'm working at the receiving dept., just about every imaginable topic crosses the table -- except almanacs! I see books on astronomy, math, science, cooking, engine mechanics, etc., etc., you get the idea, but never anything with "almanac" in the title. Can anyone direct/suggest where I could look? When I was little, it was always neat to have our set of encyclopedias to look at, but nowadays (having sold the encyclopedias long ago), I kinda wish I had something to read and browse. Looking stuff up on the computer is fine, but there is something to be said about having something physical to look at!
I've been a lurker for over a year, but wanted to jump in and help. The reason you're not getting lots of people clamoring to respond is that this thread's topic is "reading and writing" and you're asking about almanacs. I'm not being judgemental, but if you're looking for almanacs, just go online and search! Again, not trying to chase you away, it's just like if you wanted to buy a lawnmower, you don't go into a lawn forum and ask who has a lawn mower, you would go to an internet search engine and look for lawn mower companies. Okay?

Tricorder

Resident Maid
:hello:

I know this is an old thread...
Pay no attention to timestamps on posts. If you see a thread you wish to reply to, feel free to do so, regardless of how old it is. :)

I've been a lurker for over a year, but wanted to jump in and help. The reason you're not getting lots of people clamoring to respond is that this thread's topic is "reading and writing" and you're asking about almanacs. I'm not being judgemental, but if you're looking for almanacs, just go online and search! Again, not trying to chase you away, it's just like if you wanted to buy a lawnmower, you don't go into a lawn forum and ask who has a lawn mower, you would go to an internet search engine and look for lawn mower companies. Okay?
Or, go to the nearest store that sells lawnmowers and buy one there. :D

Shayna

OMG Member
Hi Mr. Administrator! I love your "avatar" (the waving guy). In my mind, THAT'S YOU from now on! LOL :-)

Anyway, I did find a place that sells almanacs yesterday! I'm a very contented person right now!

Tricorder

Resident Maid
Hi Mr. Administrator! I love your "avatar" (the waving guy). In my mind, THAT'S YOU from now on! LOL
happy0009.gif
 Brilliant. 
bth_Doctor3Dgl.gif

Anyway, I did find a place that sells almanacs yesterday! I'm a very contented person right now!
What kind of almanacs are you interested in, if I may ask? :) General stuff or something specific? :)  Almanacs about lawnmowers, perhaps? ;)

Shayna

OMG Member
Hi Mr. Administrator! I love your "avatar" (the waving guy). In my mind, THAT'S YOU from now on! LOL

happy0009.gif
 Brilliant. 
bth_Doctor3Dgl.gif

What kind of almanacs are you interested in, if I may ask? :) General stuff or something specific? :)  Almanacs about lawnmowers, perhaps? ;)
The one I just got was a garden/planting-related almanac. (No, not about lawnmowers LOL.) Okay maybe I should have been more specific. What I like about almanacs is the idea you can open one any day of the week and "find some wisdom." Kinda like a journal, but written for others. Of course, they can be technically written (like star-charts, etc., for sky-watchers or whatever), but I'm more interested in the ones like those Farmer's Almanacs you find in the magazine section of grocery stores. The thing is, those almanacs are really small, just a few pages -- I could read one in a day! Now, the garden almanac I got yesterday is about an inch thick. It'll say something like "today is when to plant carrots.... carrots are good for this or that good for eyesight.... here are some carrot recipes," that kind of thing. You not only learn what you set out to read about, but you also learn a bunch of other stuff, too. 

The way the internet is set up is kinda like a big almanac, but for me it's a bit distracting, I end up getting sidetracked. Whereas a real book or almanac, I can sit and absorb myself in it for hours. So I'm trying to find some sort of place to buy some almanacs. Maybe if I lived in a bigger city with older-style bookstores, probably a goldmine for almanacs!

Tricorder

Resident Maid
I know what you mean. Each time I go to look something up on Wikipedia (or some other similar site), I end up clicking the provided hyperlinks that lead to something related to the topic I'm reading, but aren't really important, but I click them anyway out of sheer curiosity. Then those links lead me to other links, which then lead me to even more links, until I forget what was I originally looking for. Heh. :p

Shayna

OMG Member
I know what you mean. Each time I go to look something up on Wikipedia (or some other similar site), I end up clicking the provided hyperlinks that lead to something related to the topic I'm reading, but aren't really important, but I click them anyway out of sheer curiosity. Then those links lead me to other links, which then lead me to even more links, until I forget what was I originally looking for. Heh. :p
Exactly! But if I'm sitting in a chair with a book or almanac or whatever, I know I can get at least 30 minutes of "no distraction" time. (I still will forget what I originally started reading though LOL).

Tricorder

Resident Maid
I guess... you could say...

horatio-caine-yeah_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

... that we are on the same page.  :p