What would you consider an active forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
What would you consider an active forum? For instance, i go to some forums that only have 10 active members a day who post a lot and other forums i go to have 400 active registered members on at a time and that's VERY active, but rare. How many posts would there have to be on a board every day to be considered active? Just wondering?

Stormraven

Trusted Member
The amount of posts doesn't bother me really, it's the amount of real, good, fresh content that matters when working on a website. Many websites, like mine for example have had threads like 'count to 1000', those can be good to get the post count higher but it's not so good as far as fresh content goes.

For me, an active forum is about good content, healthy discussion. Good content gets members coming back time after time. Even though the count to 1000 threads are good for posts in quick succession, I still consider them as spam kind of.

I find people don't focus on fresh content enough.

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
The amount of posts doesn't bother me really, it's the amount of real, good, fresh content that matters when working on a website. Many websites, like mine for example have had threads like 'count to 1000', those can be good to get the post count higher but it's not so good as far as fresh content goes.

For me, an active forum is about good content, healthy discussion. Good content gets members coming back time after time. Even though the count to 1000 threads are good for posts in quick succession, I still consider them as spam kind of.

I find people don't focus on fresh content enough.

Is your forum the prowebforums link on your profile page? I checked that out. Very nice. You seem to have a good deal of threads in multiple categories so you're doing fine.

How are your members for posting new discussions? Cause sometimes, i have an issue with that on my forum. For awhile, the members were very diligent about starting new discussions, but i have noticed not so much lately. So it's just me and maybe one or two other people starting discussions.

I think it's just a phase, i need more new members that can come by a couple times a week. Might do some more post exchanges. That worked out before to get new content. Maybe run some kind of posting contest for new discussions started. Rev up the advertising machine. Just some ideas i have been working on, hopefully i can put one or more of those into action soon.

Best of luck with your forum, i'm sure you'll do well.

dodgeboard

OMG Member
Promote! I've never seen an active board that didn't become successful without some very savvy and agressive promotion. Links, articles, posts on other boards...you have to spread the word.

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
You talk about articles. Where would you publish an article that could possibly gain interest for your forum. Because i have done that before for specialty niche cooking/beauty/SEO blogs but never for a forum. And, also what would you put in the author's resource box to entice the person to click through?

Status
Not open for further replies.