XenForo 1.1 Around the Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Open Discussion: XenForo's next version 1.1 around the corner?

Some months ago XenFans.com announced as one of the first that XenForo's next version (1.1) is already in the works. We estimated roughly a release in the third or fourth quarter of 2011. And at the point of this writing I believe it's being tested internally. We suspect (and hope) a roll-out on http://xenforo.com/community possibly near the end of the UK summer.

In this open discussion we want to share what we know, what you know, and discuss our opinions about the product progress from the first public beta of 1.0 to our first experience with 1.1.

To get us started, we will share some quotes, links to discussions about 1.1, and offer you some questions to think about.

What does version 1.1 mean to XenForo Limited?
Personally I believe it helps mature the product and the company enough to be taken serious in the bbs market. And that means that I hope it gets in front of more site owners that either a) want to start a new site (http://xenfans.com/threads/1208/), or b) feel confident enough to convert away (http://xenfans.com/threads/872/) from their existing software.
I think 1.1 is helping XenForo Limited to show itself off to the top three competitors such as Invision Power Board and Internet Brands, as well as free solutions such as phpBB Limited. Many people that run communities, including myself, welcome competition to the market, and personally I find it a shame that the competition has to resort to questionable acts in order to fight of competition (such as http://xenfans.com/threads/138/). The company and the products speak for themselves, and 1.1 is a step in that direction hopefully.

We've asked the same question to XenForo Limited, and here's their response:

"1.1 to XFL demonstrates our rapid development cycle, our continuing commitment to the highest quality possible in web software, and to delivering features that our customers want", Kier Darby.

What does version 1.1 mean to XenForo customers?
New customers will have it easy. Less bugs, more stability, new features, and a big community that already exists and has the experience to help out getting them started, including sites like ours here at xenfans.com.
Existing customers might be provoked to build more sites, extend their account with one or more licenses (don't forget, there is a bulk purchase option!), or at least upgrade their current 1.0 board to 1.1 to get all the extras.
Installing or Upgrading XenForo has proven to be a little bit too easy with version 1.0 - I think it's fair to say that it won't be any harder with version 1.1, and we suspect that despite it being a bigger version upgrade that it will be a breeze. XenFans.com is a discussion away with XenForo Limited to obtain a temporary beta version to confirm this on a customized board.

We've asked the same question to XenForo Limited, and here's their response:

"1.1 to customers means a new array of features to make the job of administering a XenForo forum even easier and removes many of the previous barriers to adoption that may have existed", Kier Darby.

What do we expect version 1.1 to cost?
Nothing, to be honest. If you were an early adopter and paid either $100 for the first license, $115 perhaps for your second, or just the normal $140 as existing customer, you get a year of support and service, upgrades and updates. We at XenFans.com found no evidence that version 1.1 will come with an upgrade price. And we strongly believe it will be out before March 2012, when the first batch of licenses will expire for most early adopters. In other words: a free upgrade.
New customers however of course have to invest in their first license, which will be $140, as we have found no evidence of a potential price increase. Here's a trick though: If you fear a price increase, buy your license before the price increase.
Ok, I am starting to confuse everybody I think, summery: New? $140, already have 1.0? Then it's a free upgrade.

What is new in 1.1?
Besides (expected) code optimization, improved core engine / framework, bug fixes and extended options / permissions for features, we have learned various facts and rumors, please .. do .. note .. these are 'expected', which simply means if they're unstable, buggy, no-time, or otherwise prevented from being in the first release of 1.1, they might be in 1.1.1 or 1.2 or 2.0, or shelved. Grain of salt moment, no promises, hoping and wishing, etc.
Continued maintenance releases for 1.0, until 1.1 goes stable, and time allows.

What we do know: (official source)
  • Right-to-left layout mode for Arabic (etc.) language support
  • Thread prefixes, definable at a per-forum and a per-user group basis
  • Warnings for trouble-making users
  • Ability for members to ignore other members
  • Custom user profile fields
  • Daily statistics
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 8.23.00 AM.png
  • Admin CP search
  • Improved admin and moderator logging
  • Additional thread viewing permissions
  • Criteria-based user group promotions
  • A notice system to display messages to your users in certain circumstances
  • Big-Board Search
  • Resource Manager
    Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 2.34.44 PM.png
Will there be a beta I can join?
It seems there is mention of a public beta:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1-1-release.17852/#post-232371
We recommend to a) backup, b) consider if it's suitable for your site, c) report bugs and give feedback, if you do participate. Unfamiliar with beta testing? Then we strongly recommend to a) backup anyway, b) wait until the stable is out.

What is the roadmap?
We suspect it to be as follows: Development, Private Beta. Rolling out on XenForo.com in Summer. First public beta, perhaps an RC, and then a stable (gold) release before the end of the year.

OMG I want it now, why does it take so long?
It's not long actually, there's no sign at this point 1.1 is not on schedule. Now an explanation:
From what we at xenfans have observed, it's because they want to do things right.
They're not hacking together some code into an existing product. They're engineering and trying to be innovating. This takes time. And they want to do right by the user.
Finding the right balance of user experience, user interface, progressive enhancements, using modern technologies for improved usability while keeping a light-weight product feature rich and easy to use by admins, staff and visitors.
Oh, and they're a small and new start up that's got claims filed against them by competitive corporation; This tends to eat up your time as well.

We want to discuss 1.1 with you - please participate. New information can be added by our team members to this first post.

Floris

Staff member
[reserved]

History:
The first post was published July 23rd, 2011 @ almost 3pm.

Floris

Staff member
First post updated with feedback from XFL, thanks Kier for taking the time to answer some of the questions.

ArnyVee

OMG Member
More good news about 1.1 :D

Kier says.....
With user group promotions, you could set the registered group to not have signature permissions, and then automatically promote them to a group that allows signatures when they have a certain number of posts, or a certain number of likes, or have been registered for a number of days etc. The possibilities are limitless :)

Coming soon in 1.1...

Source

Ingenious

OMG Member
The things I am most looking forward to are custom profile fields and also better admin tools, such as search for IP address as mentioned above.

Most of all I really do want to see a better log of post edits, especially what moderators change in posts. In both vB and IPB the "Edited by" on posts is so handy to quickly show a post has been edited and why. Without this you really have to PM the member to explain what you've changed and why (otherwise it looks like stealth moderation).

If post edit / "edited by" doesn't make it into 1.1 I think it would make a great add-on to be able to quickly click on a post and add an "Edited by xxx reason xxx".

I've only recently become a licence holder, I'm blown away by 1.0.4 despite it missing a lot of features I thought I wanted, can't wait for 1.1 - can't be long now!

Stormraven

Trusted Member

ArnyVee

OMG Member
Yup, they are certainly looking good. I wonder if there will be a feature to click them and show them all on a separate page. :)

ArnyVee

OMG Member
Something I just noticed in the 2nd video, the "Demo" thread prefix is in brown. So, different color options are available (whether you select it or whether you add the styling code yourself is not known at this point) to distinguish the thread prefixes :)

SteveL

OMG Member
Im happy to hear this but like all new upgrade releases I will wait for a week or two and monitor for issues.

Hopefully as this software evolves we will see a real download and gallery integrated into the program. I grow tired of waiting for something that is available in virtually every cms known to mankind. A download section is a must to many sites and so far xenforo has zilch. Even vb has that DownLoadII or something like that available.

ArnyVee

OMG Member
SteveL, 1.1 is being actively tested on xenforo.com and the bugs being worked out as they 'activate' the new features. So, most (if not all) bugs should be out of it.

But, I'm with you on that approach. I like the cleanest install possible when involved in beta rollouts like this ;)

SteveL

OMG Member
Oh I agree, ArnyVee. I like the cautious, tested approach. I hear what they say about the Resource Manager as well. I have no idea if that will be the download module or simply something more like a faux download manager or something to use for an anchor for a download program.

All that I have been seeing is lip service, idle comments that this that and the other person has started a gallery or download addon and to date we have not seen any real, solid progress on these. I know that there is some sort of gallery available and I have tried and dismissed it. Lack of support and evolution for the addons is quite evident. Trust me, I realize that these people have real lives and real jobs. What they do or attempt to do for the xen community is appreciated but with so many registered, paying clients for xenforo I do believe that some of these requests for core features NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED. ;)

ArnyVee

OMG Member
I have had no problem with the approach that the staff at xF has taken to their product. It is actually refreshing to be told something by an organization and for them to not only meet the stated expectations, but exceed them by innovative approaches to 'basic' features or processes.

It has been just about a year since the first release and the xF staff have concentrated (and communicated with us the entire way about it) on bug fixes and ensuring that they are providing a quality product to their customers. Now, granted, the timeline is not ideal for those established sites that have existing features on other software platforms. So, the 1.1 version will be a great way to bridge the gap with the features being implemented.

But, we have to be patient because the coders/programmers that are creating the addons because they also have to have a 'wait and see' approach as xF codes features into the basic program. Imagine spending weeks/months of coding and bug fixes only to be trumped by a built-in solution by the xF staff. Now, you have just wasted a lot of time, effort and energy into something that will not pay off in anyway. So, you've seen a lot of 'small mods' making their way to xF to simply buy the time before these features are built-in.

With all that being said, I have to agree with one of your points. There have been some coders that have definitely not stepped up their efforts with either the coding OR the communication/updating of their progress on some very important mods. This causes lots of dissatisfaction and frustration on our side because we are planning the implemention (or in my case migrating sites over) of these features to our xF installs.

I have been waiting patiently and planning out the migration of my WaltDisneyBoards site and have had hired coders to build me some add-ons (which may or may not be released in the near future) because I can't wait and hope for these features to be built. So, I'm nearly done with the add-ons necessary to make the move and have also had my skin/style ported over to xF (nearly 100% identical to my current setup) and I'm ready to go once 1.1 is ready to roll. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.