Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Does TV Affect our Health?

Discussion in 'Awesome Media' started by Jisan, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Jisan

Jisan OMG Member

The Health Damage of Too Much Sitting.

Studies have found that for each two additional hours spent sitting before the TV, a person's risk of death from coronary disease and threatening development rose basically.

So, I think it is affecting our health.
    What's your opinion on this?

2. Joan

Joan Don't Blink Donator

I would agree however I would say it's not just television, but all screen that we are just sat in front of. I believe that it affects our mental health too, although these days it's a lot easier to avoid advertising, that we do see it still giving us the same reactions as magazines and television of old, that we are never good enough. I think the increase in competitive shows fuels this as well, that "normal" people are just not good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Peer reviewed studies have already shown that sitting too close to the tv isn't really a health issue. But I agree, sitting down is as dangerous to your health as with anything. Be it a tv, work, computer. It's important to diversify what you do in a day. I wish I understood that a lot better 20 years ago. But, moving forward I've been attempting to take more and more little breaks, and walk and go for walks as well.

The wrong pose is the physical aspect of it. You have your shoulders and arms too low or too high and you have weird strain no your spine. Can't be good. Benched over to read things because the monitor is too far away or too low on the table, all damaging.

Mentally it's taxing too, maybe even more than people realize. Laying sideways in bed all day arm in a V shape holding a phone swiping around on apps, seeing what others are doing.. It messes with you a bit. Hours fly by. And people do it curled up in chairs, couches, etc. Neck leaning down, pulling on the wrong muscles.

Maybe one day I can let go of all the tech and just enjoy nature and walking and being outside and get the same 'joy' and social connection.

4. EagleEye

EagleEye OMG Member

I think for me the main damage is the mental health. The time wasted on TV, the addiction etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice