Does TV Affect our Health?

Jisan

OMG Member
The Health Damage of Too Much Sitting.

Studies have found that for each two additional hours spent sitting before the TV, a person's risk of death from coronary disease and threatening development rose basically.

So, I think it is affecting our health.
What's your opinion on this?

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I would agree however I would say it's not just television, but all screen that we are just sat in front of. I believe that it affects our mental health too, although these days it's a lot easier to avoid advertising, that we do see it still giving us the same reactions as magazines and television of old, that we are never good enough. I think the increase in competitive shows fuels this as well, that "normal" people are just not good enough.

Reactions: Nix

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
The Health Damage of Too Much Sitting.

Studies have found that for each two additional hours spent sitting before the TV, a person's risk of death from coronary disease and threatening development rose basically.

So, I think it is affecting our health.
What's your opinion on this?

Peer reviewed studies have already shown that sitting too close to the tv isn't really a health issue. But I agree, sitting down is as dangerous to your health as with anything. Be it a tv, work, computer. It's important to diversify what you do in a day. I wish I understood that a lot better 20 years ago. But, moving forward I've been attempting to take more and more little breaks, and walk and go for walks as well.

I would agree however I would say it's not just television, but all screen that we are just sat in front of. I believe that it affects our mental health too, although these days it's a lot easier to avoid advertising, that we do see it still giving us the same reactions as magazines and television of old, that we are never good enough. I think the increase in competitive shows fuels this as well, that "normal" people are just not good enough.

The wrong pose is the physical aspect of it. You have your shoulders and arms too low or too high and you have weird strain no your spine. Can't be good. Benched over to read things because the monitor is too far away or too low on the table, all damaging.

Mentally it's taxing too, maybe even more than people realize. Laying sideways in bed all day arm in a V shape holding a phone swiping around on apps, seeing what others are doing.. It messes with you a bit. Hours fly by. And people do it curled up in chairs, couches, etc. Neck leaning down, pulling on the wrong muscles.

Maybe one day I can let go of all the tech and just enjoy nature and walking and being outside and get the same 'joy' and social connection.

EagleEye

OMG Member
I think for me the main damage is the mental health. The time wasted on TV, the addiction etc.

roflthings

OMG Member
Netflix and YT are a great addiction and we can see most of the viewers binge watching couple of seasons per day and if that doesn't affect your eyes I don't know what else does.

ChatGurl99x

OMG Member
Not only TV, Laptop screens, mobile and any other devices emitting blue light radiation is harmful to our eyes. So to prevent such damage either we can reduce the screen time or use anti-radiation glasses.

CraftKitten21

OMG Member
I think this has to do more with sitting still for a prolonged period of time in which case, you can say the same for playing video games or sitting at a computer. I read studies on this before and it is best to just get up and move every 20 minutes or so of sitting. Even if you just stand up and do 60 seconds of stretches, it helps a lot. People call sitting the new smoking and I can see why!

Emma

OMG Member
Use of the TV totally depend on the viewer, what the viewer want to watch, what’s type of program he is interesting? TV is a very frequent and common source of increasing emotional intellect, and makes people more aware and educate. Its affect when it serves negative behavior reproduction which directly controls the mental health of user, a silent mass controller.

BigDave

OMG Member
I think with tv, I would include gaming, watching movies, tv, using your phone a lot, using your computer, tablet, etc. I think if you don't move around enough, your body will start to notice it and it will start to affect your life I imagine. If you're going to sit around all day streaming, at least get up every hour or two and stretch, move around, get some movement going on in your body.

Mila

OMG Member
Now a day watching android mobile is affect our mental health it’s the main cause of violence in behavior. No physical activity, stuck in one place, cause of overweight and fear is increasing lack of confidence.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I think for me the main damage is the mental health. The time wasted on TV, the addiction etc.
I think waking up and watching tv, before being productive. That isn't affecting mental health, that is probably a symptom of mental health issues. I don't mean that in an offensive way. Being more happy could mean more motivation.

I also think it's fine to use tv watching as an escape from life, but it shouldn't be an addiction yeh.

Netflix and YT are a great addiction and we can see most of the viewers binge watching couple of seasons per day and if that doesn't affect your eyes I don't know what else does.
If people can stop watching things for weeks in a row, they're fine. But I have a friend who would skip their dinner and doctors appointment if some youtuber uploads a new video. They have to watch it when it comes out. I find that a problem.

Not only TV, Laptop screens, mobile and any other devices emitting blue light radiation is harmful to our eyes. So to prevent such damage either we can reduce the screen time or use anti-radiation glasses.
I am bad at going to bed and watching things. I use it to ignore my headaches so i can fall asleep, but it's not the right way to deal with it.

I think this has to do more with sitting still for a prolonged period of time in which case, you can say the same for playing video games or sitting at a computer. I read studies on this before and it is best to just get up and move every 20 minutes or so of sitting. Even if you just stand up and do 60 seconds of stretches, it helps a lot. People call sitting the new smoking and I can see why!
This is the right one. Sitting still for hours is more unhealthy than watching tv I think.

Use of the TV totally depend on the viewer, what the viewer want to watch, what’s type of program he is interesting? TV is a very frequent and common source of increasing emotional intellect, and makes people more aware and educate. Its affect when it serves negative behavior reproduction which directly controls the mental health of user, a silent mass controller.
Tiktok is the only 'garbage watching' i do. On youtube i do linger towards my hobbies and science shows.

That said, I can binch a netflix series in a few days as well.

Now a day watching android mobile is affect our mental health it’s the main cause of violence in behavior. No physical activity, stuck in one place, cause of overweight and fear is increasing lack of confidence.
Yes and no. I see what you mean. But I do use youtube watching for example on the iPad in the kitchen just as background noise. I listen to podcasts that way or series that explain a lot. I put it up on a ledge, and then go clean.