Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

GoFundMe is NOT free!

Discussion in 'The Geek District' started by opair, Nov 27, 2017.

1. opair

opair OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Everytime I see people in need using gofundme I lose 3 years of my life. It's only free for DONORS. If you're starting a Gofundme campaign, you'll need to pay 3% for processing to them. While it might not seem like much, it's still not completely free.

If you're looking for another donation service, you should try YouCaring and IndieGogo. In case you might need it.

2. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I understand that people span a web to try and get what they can get.
    I find it quite sad how poorly these services also vet those who use it - and how many people fall for the crap that is posted there.

When I was gathering up money to save up for a new system, it is hard to explain the motivation behind it - or feel like I owe an explanation to those who might consider helping. But I am glad I did it myself. I got my own domain, my own site, disclosed the costs and the personal gifts I got from people. And when there were those who asked why not GoFundMe, I had two answers: Because I am not begging for money, I am sharing a project. And because I see no reason why I would pay a % to services that don't support what I do.

A third and important reason why I went my own route over YouCaring or IndieGoGo and such, is because I am not in a terrible situation as some people are. I do not have a dying kid, I am not fighting for cancer or am in some unresolvable situation where I need the help of others. If those services are there for those in need, and while I might personally feel I needed to do this to better my life and all the reasons I have for it.. I couldn't compare it.

If I end up having to sell everything to get out of debt, end up on the street and get diagnosed with something far worse than my eyes and I don't wish to die because my choices are taken away even further: I'd reach out to a broader community that can pay it forward.

It would in that case also include GoFundMe, because the situation is dire, .. not because I want to. And it would be let's say a fourth or fifth option that I'd push forward.

• Like Like x 1