GoFundMe is NOT free!

opair

OMG Member
Everytime I see people in need using gofundme I lose 3 years of my life. It's only free for DONORS. If you're starting a Gofundme campaign, you'll need to pay 3% for processing to them. While it might not seem like much, it's still not completely free.

If you're looking for another donation service, you should try YouCaring and IndieGogo. In case you might need it.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I understand that people span a web to try and get what they can get.
I find it quite sad how poorly these services also vet those who use it - and how many people fall for the crap that is posted there.

When I was gathering up money to save up for a new system, it is hard to explain the motivation behind it - or feel like I owe an explanation to those who might consider helping. But I am glad I did it myself. I got my own domain, my own site, disclosed the costs and the personal gifts I got from people. And when there were those who asked why not GoFundMe, I had two answers: Because I am not begging for money, I am sharing a project. And because I see no reason why I would pay a % to services that don't support what I do.

A third and important reason why I went my own route over YouCaring or IndieGoGo and such, is because I am not in a terrible situation as some people are. I do not have a dying kid, I am not fighting for cancer or am in some unresolvable situation where I need the help of others. If those services are there for those in need, and while I might personally feel I needed to do this to better my life and all the reasons I have for it.. I couldn't compare it.

If I end up having to sell everything to get out of debt, end up on the street and get diagnosed with something far worse than my eyes and I don't wish to die because my choices are taken away even further: I'd reach out to a broader community that can pay it forward.

It would in that case also include GoFundMe, because the situation is dire, .. not because I want to. And it would be let's say a fourth or fifth option that I'd push forward.

SpaceKitteh24

OMG Member
This is how the site makes their money. It sounds horrible but it isn't considered a non-profit site. Most websites are like this. If they don't directly ask you for money, they are likely still making money through ads. I understand the charges for something like this but I personally don't like GoFundMe. They allow a lot of very corrupt or just plain dishonest people on there to make a profit. I know someone who'd relative used the platform to get money from people claiming a fake illness.

EagleEye

OMG Member
I think the services themselves should not have to Vet the pages? It's no different than someone going up on the street and holding up a sign asking for money, Who vets them? No one. Donors willingly donate to them, so it is up to them to do due diligence.

I think 3% is a bit high but also fair, the servers and development is not free.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I think the services themselves should not have to Vet the pages? It's no different than someone going up on the street and holding up a sign asking for money, Who vets them? No one. Donors willingly donate to them, so it is up to them to do due diligence.

I think 3% is a bit high but also fair, the servers and development is not free.
True, but there's more than one way to make revenue, and how much they get in funding themselves, how much support they get through other channels. And how much advertising etc all brings in. Turning the audience into the product is just another money grab. it does feel that this is kind of against the purpose of the site. But yes, I fully understand it.