iPhone or Android?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Yup, I am an Apple fanboy, I have an iPhone.

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 09.05.55.png

Way back when Nokia was something on the market, I had the 3310i, it could barely read email. But it was my first ever mobile phone and I was happy with it. Then in 2007 Steve Jobs changed the world of phones, introducing a smart phone. A three in one device for calling, internet, and media. So good.

I waited until they introduced a retina version so I could actually see the small print on the screen and it was fast enough for the apps and games that came out (and I finally saved up enough money) But I got the iPhone 4. And I regret not getting one earlier.

Anyway, I've had the 5s since, and the 6s now. I suspect the 7s or 8 will be my next one.

I never liked the build quality or the OS for Android phones. And the saturated market with crap from the telecom providers on top of it - and the ability for everybody to just upload any app and call it 'official', were reasons for me to not even consider it.

But the latest versions of Google's phones, their OS and the ability to get one without the shell from the telecom on top of it. It's finally a good competitor. So who knows right? If Tim Cook screws things up even more for them and Android gets stuff done the right way. I might just switch? Maybe?

Your opinion and experience might be completely different. Share it! No hate. We use what we like, but I am curious if you're an iPhone user, switched to Android. Or stuck with Android forever, or maybe once made a switch to iPhone.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I had the Galaxy s5 for 2 years. Changed to the iPhone 7plus and regret nothing :D Couldn't be happier - well that's a lie, now it's waterproof it could at least do the washing up for me :D

Floris

Staff member
Quite a bit of Android love in here, and I am an Apple person, so I appreciate the discussion.
Yeah, over the last year the Android phones have become quite mature and looking pretty nifty.
The Samsung and Google phones are both on my list of Android to consider (if I couldn't go with iPhone for whatever reason: apple, don't give me a reason please).

And the Android as OS is mature as well, it's finally not feeling like a prototype you're holding and wondering what happens the next time you open the same pane. So I am liking that as well.

Back in the day I would tell people who'd ask me for a recommendation to not even consider Android, for a handful of reasons. But that list of reasons is thankfully getting a lot shorter. And it really is just personal preference, and not ease of use, durability, type of contract, or that stuff.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Still got the iPhone 7 plus, but hoping to change that this year!

Floris

Staff member
Sticking with iPhone or maybe switching to Android?

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I'll stick with iPhone...

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
The hardest part is the cost :'(
But I really want the 12

Floris

Staff member
yeah the cost is getting out of hand, common apple, COMMON

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Yup it's just so expensive now.... I'll probably get priced out having choice but I'll look anyway cause I REALLY want it!

Floris

Staff member
Yup it's just so expensive now.... I'll probably get priced out having choice but I'll look anyway cause I REALLY want it!

The benefit of all that, is that we can have smaller phones with excellent hardware inside. So they will still perform great

About six years ago the alternatives were a plastic box with no performance and an under par touch screen.

I think if they push us out of the high end stuff through pricing, that we can at least consider the alternatives now and not be disappointed by it.

We pay with our wallets, afterall. by the way, i am still talking about iPhones..

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Yer they are about the same for the new releases these days.
I'm guna try and order the new 12 on Friday... first new phone in a few years!

Floris

Staff member
2020, and still on iPhone, got the 11 pro max at the moment. Nix, immah be jelly for a minute you have the 12 :D

JasonZ

OMG Member
I'm big fan of Android phones and OS as I am using since 11 years and I'm quite used to with with OS and since it is open OS means we have more freedom compare iOS. I have no issue with iPhone but only thing which I don't like is you don't have Bluetooth option to share data.

sarfrazali2027

OMG Member
Eventhough I’m a follower of android, I like better to use an iPhone because of Apples eco system that I wont get with android. I like iPhone than Androids on however clean it's.

Once again, this can be my personal preference.

Floris

Staff member
Android, I refuse to pay Apple prices
One day you too will see the light. The bright white apple logo light. haha.

Yeah, the prices are crazy, but when I compare what Android has in performance the prices are almost the same if not more for some phones! Thankfully Android is so saturated that there's a lot of competition between Android phones as well that you can find something that fits a budget.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've just got the Samsung A12 it fit my budget and so far I'm liking it.

Floris

Staff member
I've just got the Samsung A12 it fit my budget and so far I'm liking it.
What do you think you use your phone for the most? Social contact? Phone calls? Browsing social networks for content? Maybe maps in a car, contactless payments?