Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. Connect today Guest, to explore, mine, build and survive.
    1MB is a public, family-friendly #minecraft survival server, version 1.12.1.
    We're small, but have a friendly face. Invite your friends and come play!
    Features include: mcMMO RPG, Rewards for Achievements, a /market,
    Multiple worlds, sit on a chair, events, Economy, and more.

Minecraft History

Discussion in 'MineCraft' started by Floris, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Boy, it's been 5+ years, I hope I really remember this stuff correctly.

Version 0.0 The Mikey Spring Era
    Our Universe came to be, constructed by MadMikeyB, Spring 2011.
    Before the 'stable' version of Minecraft, there was an early and public beta, and Mikey found out early on that Minecraft was just pretty awesome and would soon be pretty mainstream. The old veteran crew came online and learned how the game worked, without all these modern fancy things like fire-spread, smart mobs, stairs, and slabs, or creative mode, heck, there weren't even any mods or plugins.
    Hosted from what I remember was his personal VPS, the world at 250mb and how Minecraft run back then, it soon became a laggy experience for all. But we weren't going to give up a universe that we started. We just had to .. get .. one .. more .. block.
    This meant we had to spread the load, and take it all a little bit more serious. An addiction was born.

Version 1.0 The mrfloris Summer Era
    Together with a server move to my home and old dual CPU Mac Pro server, we started to share server management, resources, and take our precious world more serious. We upgraded to a newer version, start building for many hours in a day until one horrible day we came online and found everything griefed, or wait, was it?

Version 0 and 1 are known to us as the kwn.me server period in the history of our universe.

Version 1.1 The big update Winter Era
    Minecraft became really popular. We suddenly had to deal with loads of new features, new blocks, and new players. And find solutions to handle all of this. Mikey got busy, I basically took over at this point. We learned how to use plugins, protect our builds with daily backups and building a world for everybody to join and play on. But luck wasn't really on our side. But we didn't stop fighting.

Version 2.0 The 1moreblock Dark Era
    My Mac Pro started showing issues, players became inactive, and keeping Minecraft up to date became a hassle. Mojang was blowing up and plugin developers couldn't keep up in the beginning. Our priorities in life shifted and despite the intentions in 2012 to run everything on my iMac at home or some VPS online. Tests showed world corruption, world protection was flaky, and personal problems stood in the way to find motivation. The website, the community, and all that changed a little. It was all there, but we didn't quite .. have that magic that sparked version 1 the summer of 2011.

Some of us moved to another server, taking a step back from managing and operating a private whitelist only server. And in the meantime we started a new public vanilla Minecraft server and made new friends. Being a player instead of an admin for once, really suited us. But no worries, we have no intention of leaving our worlds behind. One reason why 2.1 never came that year, was partially due to performance issues, security issues, and lack of motivation. It was a dark era.

Version 2.1 The Dragon Egg Era
    A new team member joined us, telling us to play adventure maps, try new worlds, do a sky block challenge, and build a fresh world. Together with the shelves filled with plans, we put our heads together and got the servers back online, invited our friends. And explored our worlds again. Dragon eggs spawning everywhere. You can blame Mistic_Ice for that.
    The website came back online, the server run again with CraftBukkit and better anti grief protection. A multi-verse plugin was added to merge the worlds together and get our builds where we wanted them. Slowly we got organized again in 2013-2014.

Version 2.2 The long 1.8 Era
    But just when we got our spark back and got everything up to date. Minecraft started upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7, and 1.8, plugin developers staying behind and some DMCA issue with Mojang or some Bukkit developer causing issues. Stagnating everything once more during 2014 and 2015. A long period where we run our worlds only when we felt like playing. Stuck on 1.8 eventually, watching players moving on to 1.9 and 1.10 and recently 1.11. But, we got our spawns organized, our worlds organized, and our plugins organized. Things were running way more smoothly, and plans for 2016 to upgrade to a new iMac and a lot more were made.

Version 2.3 The Fun 1.11 Era
    A huge upgrade to our server and universe. After many weeks of testing and trying it internally, I finally figured out a way to convert from 1.8 to 1.9, 1.10, and finally to 1.11 - and take the plugins with us. No item, world, or data loss or any corruption. It was a challenge, but we have a stable universe now. And I will try to let you guys know the changes to the server in this changelog:
    https://omgboards.com/threads/minecraft-changelog.260948/

Version 2.4 The Summer 2017 Update
    A significant update from 1.11 to 1.12, and a lot of internal changes. Conflicts from previous versions have been ironed out. And tools have been put in place to speed up fixing current issues a lot faster. Admin / Operator tools have been taken to the next level. Features have been organised and events have become default features. More events are planned and a super fun Summer is ahead of us. There's a new /menu and the world borders have been removed from most worlds. The system the server runs will receive an update early July 2017 as well. Actually, a pretty good one. This is a big step forward and one that has been a long time coming. Improved gameplay, improved RPG, improved events, improved performance. Better 64bit support, and full java 8 support. [edit @ July 3rd] The server has finally moved to the new iMac 2017.

Internal version:
    1MB version 2.4.1 (Summer 2017), for Minecraft version 1.12.0, running Spigot build July 2017.

What's next? I will discuss that here, the best I can:
    https://omgboards.com/threads/whats-next.260950/

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Professional Dragon Egg Hunter

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Its so awesome to see how much the world and server changed! Glad to see everything went well with updating to 1.11!

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    1MB version 2.3 upgraded to support MineCraft 1.11.2, details here.

4. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Woot!

[edit]

Okay - not on phone any more.

Whew, what a journey! It's amazing to think that this little world I helped to start in 2010 / 11 is still around 6 years later!

I can't express my gratitude to my good friend Floris enough for keeping this server alive, it's still one of my favourite things to jump on and have a play.. and while life may get in the way more often these days.. connecting to this server always brings back that feeling of just mining .. one.. more.. block...

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  5. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Reporting back on few solid months of gameplay, improvements, and fun events (see changelog for detailed details)

Version 2.3 of 1MB has been updated with newer versions of plugins, a few new plugins, and better configurations. User-feedback has been reviewed and where possible I've tried my best to implement them. Bigger new things for the 2.3 versions: Anti grief and anti cheat protection, and leaf-decay has finally been turned on. We've added events, and custom-to-our-server features, including 1MB-lootboxes. Behind the scenes we also have better Admin/Operator tools for running things smoothly. And we're slowly preparing for the Summer for future updates, future features, improved perks, and better group management. We are still waiting for a new system to improve performance, etc.

6. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Small update. We've moved the content of the website www.1moreblock.com to my forum here at omgboards.com.
    Accounts have been merged, content has been moved in the appropriate forums, and the domains are pointing to the new url.
    There were just about 200 messages, it's easier to manage our Minecraft server through this website, than have to keep an eye on yet another website.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Small update. Everything is running stable, the events of the first three months are over, and still running stable. The /spawn has been updated to the Spring season and Spigot runs on April nightly builds. The internal version has been updated to 1MB version 2.3.2 (Spring 2017), for Minecraft version 1.11.2, running Spigot build April 2017.

8. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Another big update: The 2017 Summer Update for 1MB 2.4 has been completed, including it's maintenance. The server is running on the new system. Yay, July 3rd, 2017. another big day in our history.

10. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    August Update:

August 1st, 2017: Started public beta testing of our new Skyblock server.
    August 4th, 2017: Upgraded the servers to 1.12.1.

Internal version is now 1MB version 2.4.1 (Summer 2017), for Minecraft 1.12.1 (Stable). Running Spigot build August 4th 2017.

11. OP
    Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    September Update:

We're closing the Skyblock beta testing soon. Participate while you can! :)
    We've dropped support for older clients, and require 1.12.x vanilla clients.
    The server has been upgraded to support 1.12.2.

Internal version is now 1MB version 2.4.2 (Fall 2017), for Minecraft 1.12.2 (Stable). Running Spigot build September 20th 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.