Stocking up

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Right now I'm trying to build up enough stock that I can get by without shopping for a month. With planning I could probably do it now, but I have to factor the cat in too, so he's not quite got enough for a month. Might be around 3 weeks worth currently.

I've got plenty of candles, the power bar thing is charged, but I might look into getting another as I gave my dad my spare.
Just be safe, dont burn the house down, dont put petrol in plastic bottles, etc.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Kinda wish I had stocked up on crisps, now there's a shortage I fancy some!

Floris

Staff member
Not a shortage here. Amazon still has family packs on amazon co uk i see.

Floris

Staff member
Okay, just to double check, can we name 5 things we HAVE TO HAVE this winter, that we can get 'now' before winter starts, lockdown happens, shortages happen? Just in case my mind is like 'oh i have that', but I probably realise i am now out of or didn't actually get.

I need a double check :D

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to get new insoles for my boots. Have you checked coats, boots etc are all in good condition?

Toiletries? I do need to get another conditioner bar, but otherwise fully stocked.

I need to do a check on my baking supplies, flour, oats, golden syrup, sugar etc, plus any spices I might use.

Floris

Staff member
Have you checked coats, boots etc are all in good condition?
They 100% are not.

I have old shoes, my coat is not a winter coat.

Okay, fair point, time to look into that for sure.

I will also double check bathroom/toilet stuff, and baking things. I know i got a few things, but through the year i also used a bit

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Booked next 3 weeks of shopping slots just incase Boris changes his mind...

Floris

Staff member
Booked next 3 weeks of shopping slots just incase Boris changes his mind...
We can't book anything, we just have to pick a date and by the time we order it has to be available.

I am sure it's not that terrible, it hasn't been an issue for two years now.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well electric is going up by 50% in April, so I want to get prepared for that
Bought a dehumidifier for drying the clothes instead of the more expensive radiator. I have a slow cooker which is cheaper to run than oven.

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Yer Gas and Elec bills are guna hurt big time very soon :'(

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I don't have gas at least, but I can't see how I can cut back on electric, I already barely put the heating on

Floris

Staff member
Well electric is going up by 50% in April, so I want to get prepared for that
Bought a dehumidifier for drying the clothes instead of the more expensive radiator. I have a slow cooker which is cheaper to run than oven.
Mine went up by 100 a month. I am basically going to be in debt now. I won't be able to recover from the difference and have to give up on some hobbies and i guess i can stop eating. The end year bill will also be terrible this january and then june for the other company. So yeh.. fun

Best of luck everybody.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well I'm stocking up on food this month before the bills go up next month, plus food prices rising and I expect it'll just get worse.

Floris

Staff member
I spend another 50 euro probably on just stocking up some canned foods and things that last a bit longer. It's crazy how little we get for 50 euro these days.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Looks like this year could also be one of shortages too, however currently I feel good with the stocks I have, but always room for improvement and I wish I could grow a few bits myself so I knew at least I could have something fresh

Floris

Staff member
Even with shortages in 2020/2021, i really didn't actually notice it. I don't have a car, so gas didn't impact me. I just noticed prices going up - but even if something was out of stock, a few days later it was in all the stores again.

To be honest, i am not that worried. i want to take preventive actions and try to be smart about it without it hurting my wallet, but i don't want to be paranoid about it either.

i will keep adding a few things here and there when i do groceries, stuff that lasts a while, and i have enough of things like pasta and rice to last me - and i have flower for bread. What i still want through is safe drinking water that's bigger than a few litters downstairs in cool storage - knowing it won't leak, nor go bad after a year (yes, some do have pretty short expiration dates, something to keep an eye on).

i have some lights i can turn on in case of power cuts, and i have reflective stuff i can put in front of windows that's really tiny but unwraps and covers a large area. so i can keep heat in as well. but spring, summer, fall is ahead of us and i am not too worried.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to set an alarm to remind me to do meter readings every month, I usually do anyway but I think it's going to be more important now that they don't estimate it and I end up paying more.
I've gone through the cupboards and know what's in there now, still have the freezer to go through and sort out.

Floris

Staff member
I need to set an alarm to remind me to do meter readings every month, I usually do anyway but I think it's going to be more important now that they don't estimate it and I end up paying more.
I've gone through the cupboards and know what's in there now, still have the freezer to go through and sort out.
Great idea, I was going to do it twice a year, but wanted to change it to once a season. I think keeping an yee on it monthly isn't a terrible thing based on what we are going to pay.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Trying to figure out what has to be left switched on while I'm at work, fridge, freezer, washing machine, just because getting to the plug is awkward. I think thats it, I'll just have to remember in the morning to turn the rest off. Non work days will be more expensive though.

Floris

Staff member
Trying to figure out what has to be left switched on while I'm at work, fridge, freezer, washing machine, just because getting to the plug is awkward. I think thats it, I'll just have to remember in the morning to turn the rest off. Non work days will be more expensive though.
I might actually get a philips hue style smart plug for kitchen and bathroom equipment, waiting for their reply back what is suitable. Might be a little investment now, but knowing i auto turn off things during hours i will 100% never use it, and control over my phone.. solves the awkward positions and downtimes costing money.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I might actually get a philips hue style smart plug for kitchen and bathroom equipment, waiting for their reply back what is suitable. Might be a little investment now, but knowing i auto turn off things during hours i will 100% never use it, and control over my phone.. solves the awkward positions and downtimes costing money.
Doesn't that mean everything is essentially left on stand by? Not actually switched off?

Floris

Staff member
Doesn't that mean everything is essentially left on stand by? Not actually switched off?
I'd have to google which devices still draw power when not in use. I know the tv for example still pulls electricity when turned off (the old ones). but yeah, some devices do. I haven't had time to dive into it yet. But instead of taking power out and then plugging back in, etc. creating wear/tear and awkwward bending over angles that can hurt ya lower back sometimes, i rather just say 'hey siri, turn everything off in the bathroom'

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
And here we go, April is here and the bills are all going up this month, so time to switch everything off and cancel what I can