Stocking up

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Tomatoes:

A variety of British vegetables, from tomatoes to cauliflower, risk being rationed this year as farmers struggle to meet rising energy costs, the head of the National Farmers' Union (NFU) has warned.

Minette Batters, president of the England and Wales industry group, said shoppers could face limits on some vegetables, with the production of British tomatoes and cucumbers already falling.

Tomatoes and some other popular vegetables are in short supply on supermarket shelves due to bad weather in Europe and Africa, prompting a warning that stores may have to limit purchases.

The UK relies on countries such as Morocco and Spain for tomatoes during the winter.

But in Morocco, growers have struggled with cold weather, heavy rain and floods.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
British farmers are losing their subsidies, this will just be the start as many will be forced to pivot or go bankrupt.

Floris

Staff member
Tomatoes:

A variety of British vegetables, from tomatoes to cauliflower, risk being rationed this year as farmers struggle to meet rising energy costs, the head of the National Farmers' Union (NFU) has warned.

Minette Batters, president of the England and Wales industry group, said shoppers could face limits on some vegetables, with the production of British tomatoes and cucumbers already falling.

Tomatoes and some other popular vegetables are in short supply on supermarket shelves due to bad weather in Europe and Africa, prompting a warning that stores may have to limit purchases.

The UK relies on countries such as Morocco and Spain for tomatoes during the winter.

But in Morocco, growers have struggled with cold weather, heavy rain and floods.
it made it to dutch news now; https://nos.nl/artikel/2465131-groente-en-fruit-op-rantsoen-in-britse-supermarkten which means we will get a run on this in dutch stores too now

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I'm starting to think about winter again, and need to defrost the freezer before then.

Need to go through the cupboards and work out what I need to use up and restock, however I am still paying off both the credit card and the cruise. So I have to get that done before I have any spare money.

Floris

Staff member
Instead of stocking up I have started to take another look at the "nearby" dates, and started to mix in those things with my dinner. So I don't let things go to waste.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to go through and stock up where I can again.
I know I need more candles, and tins are getting low so must get more soup at least.

Floris

Staff member
I need to go through and stock up where I can again.
I know I need more candles, and tins are getting low so must get more soup at least.
I checked, i still have over 70% of the canned stuff, and 90% of the candles, and few other things. I have to continue 'using' what i have, so it doesn't go bad, and i have to revisit what is smart to have. Never used any of the emergency heat blankets or other stuff like that, so that's all okay.

I dont have a strong storage thing that doesn't go weird that's got enough water for a bit, but i also dont know what else to get.

i want to be aware and mindful and see what i have to do if i can't go to a store for a week or can't leave apartment for a week or if power gets turned off for a week.. but i dont want to go mental and get paranoid or whatever and hoard things and never use them and then have to throw it out in five years and waste money. hard to learn and find a balance.

thanks for reminding me again, i will try to make a list and not give in on the fearmongering that's going on in social networks ..

and in case of some war situation, we're just civilians, we're at the end of the list anyway. having a week headstart is nice, but it wont solve it, and in case of a nuke, well .. then you have to leave it all behind and get into a chopper to airport to disappear on a private yet for 10k .. so that's a whole different story that 99% can't do anyway.

see.. im already paranoid :D

• Haha
Reactions: Nix

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
For me it's more, going without electricity. If I'm at home with no electricity for a while then how would I do. Well I've got my oodie and blankets, so I should be able to keep warm. If it was really cold I do have some handwarmers but they would be one use only as I wouldn't be able to boil them to reset them.
Then what food do I have that I can eat cold, or uncooked. I always keep tins of fish, so at least I'd be getting some protein.
Lighting wouldn't be an issue, plenty of candles and battery lights.
Entertainment wise, I have books, a portable dvd player, playing cards etc

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well this clearly invaded my dreams, I was playing trivial pursuit with my neighbours.

I do own trivial pursuit, but I barely know my neighbours!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
To keep me paranoid, I've now borrowed Station 11 to listen to once I've finished with The Handmaid's Tale.

• Haha

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Apparently there's a shortage of sultanas and raisins!

• Wow

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well I got tea okay, however the supermarkets are out of sugar. Neither Morrisons or Aldi had any bags

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I need to do a big shop next week as I'm running out of stuff like tinned foods and ingredients for meals and treats :/