The boring thread of: I need to get healthier

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Right let's keep each other accountable for getting healthier, whether that's mental or physical heath.

I got out my vertical climber yesterday and figured out time to km roughly on it, so aiming for 2km, which is 10 minutes a week at the moment. Once that gets easier I'll up it.

I'm doing this as well: https://www.theconqueror.events/ Does cost around £30 but cheaper than a gym and I do get a medal at the end!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well went for a short walk on the way to work, and walked too slow as I might've been a little late for work! Oops!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I'm currently managing to do 4 minutes at a time on the climber, so happy to do that a few times a week at the moment.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I've been doing more walks and bike rides these last two weeks. And I like it. The weather helps of course. I hope it will soon be nice and warm again and that I can keep going.

My daily sugar intake or coffee, tea, etc .. I notice I have 90% less, I hope to keep this up.

Food wise, food-prep means portion control, and once a week i have a day where i just can't do it and i go out to eat or have it delivered, but even then, i try to buy only a bit, and not what i normally get.

Hopefully all in all, i have less sugar, move around more, and get used to smaller portions.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Upped it to 5 minutes on the climber, but not every day. Doing the challenge is definitely pushing me to exercise more.

Healthy eating however isn't going well, but I need to go food shopping tomorrow so hopefully that'll help

Floris

Staff member
Awesome job, keep it up!
Healthy eating- no worries, let's pick it up, portion control, pick the food ahead of time, and go through the online order thinking 'do i ened this/ no.. ' delete it, so be it.. if you dont have it, you wont eat it.
once we're in the habbit of less food, regular times, and all that stuff, we will be used to doing better, and we can start making even more changes.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've upped the climber, or dread machine as I like to call it, to 5 minutes at a time, as long as I put gel on my knees first. Only managed 4 minutes today as I forgot to put the gel on. I'm trying to walk at least 3 miles a day as well, and I'm mostly doing that.

However I've had 2 takeaways this week so not all going to plan.

Floris

Staff member
I am jealous how dedicated you are, you're all doing a fantastic job. It keeps reminding me to keep up the biking, even if they are little distances. Thankfully today I have to pick stuff up in town again and next week I have to go into town again to copy a bunch of paperwork. Which helps. Biking now is already a lot easier than it was a few months ago. With the weather picking up and the mornings being less dark, it is nice to go for a little 15 minute walk. But I walk slow. My knees really are recovering poorly from that fall, it's been many months now and it still hurts when I have to go 'up' something. Anyway, slowly but surely I am trying to find the time and motivation to do better. It's nice that we have this forum and see others try as well.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
My head needs to be in the right place and at the moment its all over the shot.... not great so mental health first then weight loss for me.

Floris

Staff member
I hate this thread I hate this thread, i love it, i hate it.. AAAH why am i like this.

I've been trying so hard lately to be outside more, to try and sleep longer and at regular hours. To not have stress so much and purposely keep an eye on my breathing. I have tried to eat with better portion controls and watch what I eat as well. I have tried to be on my bike almost daily again, and do longer distances.

And it's so easy to just throw that out the window just because of a mood.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
May did not go well, but it's a new month so a fresh start.

Floris

Staff member
May did not go well, but it's a new month so a fresh start.
Agreed, new month new start! I've had okay days in May but I should have been better. I am starting to notice the positive side of small improvements. I want to try and apply that in June and July.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
OK so started the process of mental health wellness by contacting the doctors. Started weight loss by getting a calorie counting app and using it.... so far I am way over but it's day one of being honest with myself.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Just logged back into myfitnesspal now to remember to log all the foods

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
The banana oaty bites are okay, but definitely miss the sugar.

Pinterest recipe if you can call it that!

1 cup oats
1 banana
And whatever else you want to add

I doubled it, and added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a handful of crushed walnuts.

Bake!

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
The banana oaty bites are okay, but definitely miss the sugar.

Pinterest recipe if you can call it that!

1 cup oats
1 banana
And whatever else you want to add

I doubled it, and added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a handful of crushed walnuts.

Bake!
I'd make it and eat it all but I can't tolerate oats :'(

Floris

Staff member
The July month has started, no more todo items for other people. It's all about meeeee again. And with less stress.

- I had an emotional chat with my sister at 4 am the other day about my health. We made some agreements to help each other out.

- I've been trying to upkeep my bike and motivate myself for daily bike rides, even if they were just 5 minutes back and forth to a store. In july I will go the long way around to stores.

- I've ordered new types of drinks I never had before, including sugar-free lemonades again (i found the brand i like, so now testing flavors) and little flavored water things that look interesting. Hopefully, I like it. So during these hot days, I don't end up reaching for a cool coca-cola which IS the best, but maybe make a healthy drink, and enjoy 5 minutes on the balcony with it. Get some vit D from the sun. Relax .. ya know. Healthy..

- Ordered fruits and protein-style healthy yogurts, so I can mix it up a bit, and have more of that in the morning, instead of a sandwich.

- Ordered mandarins, so instead of chocolate snacking, I will go have an extra short bike ride, come home, drink flavoured water and then have a mandarin on the balcony, trying to enjoy life.

Hopefully together with what I already try, this is teaching me behavior that becomes automatic. And otherwise, I at least had a nice week trying things, and i can adjust for other weeks and make a fun month out of it.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Health has not been good lately, both mental and otherwise.
I'm slowly coming back to normal but it's definitely taking time to get there. I've had a lot of takeaways and getting through cans of coke to give me enough energy to get through the day.

Floris

Staff member
I have been eating fruit and veggies - like 200% more than usual this week.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I'm going swimming on Wednesday, first time in ages and I'm going with mum so I'll probably not do loads of swimming but any is better than none

Floris

Staff member
still working hard each day to be and eat healthier. it's tough, like.. tough. but making progress.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Finally got back on the climber today, only half a km, but it's something. Going to try to get on it a few days a week, I'm well behind on my challenge now, but I might be able to catch up if I go swimming as well.

Floris

Staff member
I've been on my bike almost daily, every 3rd or 4th day I skip, and if I can ride twice, I do it. Yesterday I went in the morning, but after that I haven't been on yet, didn't feel too great, didn't want to push my body

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Going swimming tonight, 20 lengths is half a km, so that's the plan, won't do much to help me catch up with the challenge but I'm doing well on the steps one.
If I can do 5.5km a day on average I can finish that one at the end of the month. Going to have to work at it though, don't usually do that much walking a day