Healthy lifestyle, vegan

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Curry and me are apparently not a good combo, I'll stick to a jar of it I think! However a vegan hot chocolate with coconut milk is great!

Reactions: Nix

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Spice is bad for a sensitive tummy :(
Hot choc sounds good.
It didn't taste of anything but coconut milk! I needed more spice! and the sauce was so thin, the recipe said add more water if you want a thinner sauce, it was so thin anyway!

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Balance is important, coc milk does not have the same effect as full creamy milk unfortn. It's hard to balance. I have been trying in the last few weeks and had various results. Don't give up! The perfect balance of ingredients can really lead to delish

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
It didn't taste of anything but coconut milk! I needed more spice! and the sauce was so thin, the recipe said add more water if you want a thinner sauce, it was so thin anyway!
I make curry from scratch, so so so much better! I make a chicken/veg/coconut creamy curry.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I got a great deal on the airfryer, I got it free! Haven't actually used it yet, but I only need a lemon and some cornstarch for that recipe.

Floris

Staff member
I got a great deal on the airfryer, I got it free! Haven't actually used it yet, but I only need a lemon and some cornstarch for that recipe.
JELLY
That's a great deal indeed.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I'm into week 3 of plant based foods, and so far it's going well, I'm not checking labels so I know that I'm had little dairy here and there, but on the whole it's been no meat and dairy. I didn't think I would get used to not having cows milk in my tea, but I'm already used to the soya milk now. It is the takeaway that I'm fearing, that time when I really just want crap to eat, so far I'm good and I did enjoy the lemon tofu I made the other day and the bacon Pringles too (yep they're vegan) plus I know several sweet recipes that I can easily make.

Floris

Staff member
I got vegan protein bars with all sorts of goodies in it to make it delicious. I have one every day, sometimes as a food replacement (breakfast).

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
There's meat in the house, it's cat food though so I have no interest in eating it!

Floris

Staff member
There's meat in the house, it's cat food though so I have no interest in eating it!
I mean .. if it wouldn't smell like death ..

There's actually patte for crackers that honestly smells like cat food, and no, i refuse to eat it, no matter how delicious it is. Same with catfood that would smell delicious, i wouldn't eat it. hehe

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I feel like I'm eating too much processed vegan foods, so need to start eating healthier

Floris

Staff member
I feel like I'm eating too much processed vegan foods, so need to start eating healthier
It is good to realise that.

I've been eating surely unhealthy enough, and not checked my portions. November is changing this. I've switched back to mashed potatoes, carrots, white beans, and applesauce, sometimes with a bit of chicken, sometimes without any meat. It's fine. I know it's not 'vegan' a lot of the times, but it's the baby steps to get to a point where I am comfortable with switching up what I eat, trying new things, and adjusting portions, and realising i can eat things without the traditional 'it must have meatballs with it..'. It allows me to pick certain burger paddies in the shop for a vegan style burger, or have a nice sauce with some vegan chicken bits. Because together with some rice or a salad, it's perfectly fine.

It just sucks that a lot of the vegan/vegetarian foods are still a lot more expensive and then disappoint so greatly.

November is about emptying my pantry while stocking up fresh stuff that will have a long shelf life, and checking my portions, and more food-prep for the week. I hope during black friday I can find glass containers for food prepping to keep dishes fresh in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, but that i can use it in the oven, airfryer, and microwave.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I do use the airfryer quite a bit, and have sweet potato fries instead of regular potato ones, but I need to up my veg intake.

Switched to wholewheat bread, rice and pasta though

Floris

Staff member
I do use the airfryer quite a bit, and have sweet potato fries instead of regular potato ones, but I need to up my veg intake.

Switched to wholewheat bread, rice and pasta though
Teach me how ~ i need to step up my sweet potato airfrying game .. You just cut them like smaller wedgies/fries, and throw them in, do they need to have some oil spray or something.. coat them in anything?

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Teach me how ~ i need to step up my sweet potato airfrying game .. You just cut them like smaller wedgies/fries, and throw them in, do they need to have some oil spray or something.. coat them in anything?
Buy frozen, chuck in, shake every so often.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Today trying my hand at vegan banana bread, normally I make with eggs, so we'll see how this vegan recipe goes, also trying out a vegan cheese and onion pie.

January is great for trying out new products as so many companies like to launch new vegan products due to the popularity of veganuary

Floris

Staff member
Being vegan is easy now, inflation and stupid prices for meat - I can't afford it, so .. cutting it down by the 50% they've increased it. I already have been eating about 35 to 50% less in the last 4 months. It's rediculous and food prepping is almost as expensive now if not more, than regular groceries were a year ago. I've been buying uber eats once a week just because it gives me 2 days of food, and it's cheaper than the regular groceries I got.

Floris

Staff member
I've been having vegan bagles, and vegan drinks. And they've been rather nice. I've tried to replace one meal every week with vegetarian and one with vegan. What I don't like, gets blacklisted. I won't bother.

I still don't want to be a veg* anything. But I enjoy trying it out, and learning what I do like. And what is utter nonsense. I am not the person that likes to play make believe and goes 'hmmmm this plastic tastes great, because it says burger on it' .. that doesn't work for me.