Quick Site News

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pet Board

OMG Member
Quick Site News: Saturday, October 1, 2011.

With September behind us now, and the autumn weather kicking in we had the time to update quite a few of our plugins. Please check our releases forum. (both the public and the premium one)

We've also released a few articles in September, and have a few pending for October. And with 1.1 of XenForo a step closer we will be prepping our web site for the upgrade.

And we're always looking for more XenForo (and Community) conversations. So please keep posting them.

More about product updates by XenForo and by XenFans in our upcoming October newsletter.

I can't wait until the add-on manager is complete or a system that auto checks add-on versions is in place. :D

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Quick Site News: Wednesday, October 5, 2011.

With the announcement of version 1.1 beta 1, xenfans.com is testing the upgrade of the live web site with the team, we might invite a few of our regular members to help test. We will also review our styles, services, products, and other resources during the beta period of 1.1.

More about our products and 1.1 in our upcoming October newsletter, which we're drafting today and tomorrow, and it should be in your inbox before Friday.

One more thing: Our premium members will get a free add-on soon called the what's new block.

Floris

Staff member
We currently don't sell them, as we're rethinking our setup for 2012.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday, October 6, 2011.

Today we've upgraded our boards to XenForo 1.1.0 beta 1.

jonsidneyb

OMG Member
congratulations. I need to visit this site more often.

I will be ready to hire you guys again soon I think.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Friday, October 7, 2011.

The October newsletter has been published and mailed out to all subscribers.
I've upgraded the site to version 1.1.0 beta 2 of XenForo.
Our products all work with XenForo 1.1. And the majority of them have received an update.
All our Premium resources are made public / free to all our Registered members.
I want to thank all the writers, moderators, super mods and administrators for their help in 2010/2011.
And an important announcement about the future of the web site has been posted.

Nerdface

OMG Member
Just wanted to say thanks for the recent XenFans.com releases being made public, there's some real nice work there that I'll be sure to check out once I've upgraded my installation.. Though, I'll probably be waiting for 1.1 Beta 3 or an RC myself (or when the Flexile style is updated at the earliest!).

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday, October 20, 2011.

Site upgraded to 1.1.0 beta 3, longer announcement to follow.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Tuesday, October 25, 2011.

An internal developer build of Popular add-on has been completed and installed on XenFans. In preparation for version 1.1. We try to make it so it still works on XenForo 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, but Popular 1.1 is made for XenForo 1.1

New: Excluse User Types. This means that content from either banned, mods, or admins won't be included as popular content.

New: BB-Code Display. This means that you can either show the raw content, this is how it has been until version 1.0.4, but from 1.1 onwards you can either decide to have this parsed or stripped.

Screen shot 2011-10-25 at 2.42.37 PM.png

Floris

Staff member
The first three words kinda give it away: Internal Development Build.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday, October 27, 2011.

Board software upgraded to 1.1.0 beta 4.
We've also made some additional changes on the server to improve load times and caching of data.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Halloween Monday, October 31, 2011.

The last weekend Nix and I have been working on the Halloween '11 theme and installed it on XenFans.com for a few days, and released it on XenFans for free as a download for those who have an interest in a Halloween theme on their XenForo 1.1 site.

Saldon, Mikey, Fuhrmann and I have been working hard on processing user-feedback, new features, bug fixing, and updating the Popular Content add-on. I might release a version 1.0.5 for XenForo 1.0.5 if XenForo Limited releases it. But our focus is now on version 1.1.0 for XenForo 1.1.0 beta 4 and up. Side-note: We're looking for alpha testers, feel free to contact me if you want to alpha test the 1.1 build before we share it with the public.

In other news we're focussing on preparing for our November newsletter, new articles, and new content. And our next free theme will be like Halloween, but updated for Thanksgiving. We're also looking into releasing the XenFans 1.1 theme for XenForo 1.1, while we're prepping other themes for December and Q1 of 2012.

And finally, we're prepping for a scheduled maintenance day for either December or January, depending on how the discussions with Linode and Leasweb hosting will go.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Wednesday, November 2, 2011.

Today I've introduced a new but very simple ticket system as an alternative to 'contact us', using the default XenForo 1.1 features.

The contact-us forum is not listed in our forum list, but it exists. You can find it here: http://xenfans.com/forums/tickets/ It will have a notice in the top to a page with additional information. Creating a new thread is basically creating a new private ticket with the XenFans team. You and the team can read it, others can not.

By default XenForo has a contact-us link that results in an email. We've always used ragtek's plugin to move this into a thread. We now have this disabled and are using the default xenforo features available to us.

Clicking on contact-us in the footer results in a new-thread page (new ticket) with a thread prefix [new] and a notice in the top explaining it's private.

There are additional thread prefixes available, but only moderators have control over them.

We also require users to register on our site prior to being able to contact us. This is a means to fight spam. Guests can still email us manually if they do not desire to register.

We also lowered our workload policy by checking our mail only bi-weekly rather than every other day, and put priority on our boards' private tickets instead. It's simply less work for us.

In effect nothing really changed, contacting us is just handled a bit differently internally.

During this week you're free to test out the private tickets by creating a new thread via contact-us. It gives you and our team some practice with the new set-up.

One more thing

My todo list also included reviewing the forum structure. I've made notes for the next review, but have gone ahead and renamed some of our forum slugs. our 'xenfans products & services' for example was /services/ and is renamed to /xenfans-releases/

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Wednesday, November 9, 2011.

Apologies ahead of time for the 'What is new' section showing content from the newly added project manager section "forums > products > *" where I will spend the next few days populating it with some development stuff.

As (perhaps) annoying it might be now, it is in theory a temporary frustration. Over time the products are added and then new content and releases will be incidentally. I just need a few days to organize things.

And now the positive spin on this:

We've added a new /products/ forum (not shown by default) with sub-forums. Each sub forum is basically an official xenfans product.

The /products/ forums first add-on is the XenFans.com "What's New Block", which is an add-on that replaces the boring empty page with just a phrase saying "no results found" with a dynamic and fun, friendly looking, page with all sorts of options to provoke your users who would otherwise click away to stay active on your site and feel more involved in the community.

The reason for this is that a) we will now have a public project tools section where we are open to 1) new suggestions, 2) new bug reports. b) A spot per product for pre-download and post-download support questions. And at the top of the forum a clearly listed sticky thread with the latest public release (and .zip download).

Content in the products/ forums are prefixed with a status, using thread prefixes. This allows us to use it as a release forum, support forum, and project tools, all at the same time. There's a thread explaining the prefixes listed in the parent of the products forum.

The last few weeks we've been working on updating some of our add-on products, and releasing them on both xenfans.com and xenforo.com - with improved support options. The last week we've handed out a few small plugins for personal requests, and a few private betas to people who were looking for certain features. The private beta testing period is ending and we're processing the feedback. I expect we will be releasing these add-ons this week and this weekend.

Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 9.28.05 AM.png

One more thing: We're (My idea, Fuhrmann trying to prototype it).. derailing. We're working on a fun sidebar plugin that we hope to realize this month, for a release in December. Keep your eyes open for beta requests. I have a feeling this might end up to be one used by many web sites. I am going to keep this one a bit of a secret a little bit longer.

prototype_project.png

Oh, and if you like the What's New add-on we're about to release, you might like our 'Get rid of that boring Xenforo 404 error page' add-on that I am prepping for a beta test.

Okay, ONE more thing .. It's almost Thanksgiving, so if you liked our Halloween theme then stick around as Nix and I are releasing a xenfans thanksgiving theme around the 20th of November.

Argh, someone just whispered to me not to forget to mention the Newsletter .. It will be mailed in the next 24 hours.

That's it, enough news .. This was supposed to be quick !! Thank you for your attention and patience, once again. Enjoy our site. Create some topics! Discuss some XenForo.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Saturday, November 12, 2011.

The last few days we've started working on the basics of the Thanksgiving '11 theme for XenForo 1.1 and we've published our monthly Newsletter.

We've also released a few add-ons that I think you guys will like. And the board is now upgraded to 1.1.0 beta 5.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: November 18, 2011.

We can now convert phpBB3 boards over using an internal script, this includes attachments and passwords.

The XenFans.com web site has been upgraded to XenForo 1.1's release candidate. Have fun posting.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: November 23, 2011.

As the last month of the year approaches we're finalizing our articles and newsletters that we have scheduled for November and December. Before we take time off near the end of December to prepare for XenFans 2012.

This week was supposed to be about the Thanksgiving theme, but unfortunately my eyes have been acting up and rushing the style to a finish wasn't possible when the last few days I have been feeling under the weather because of a cold or beginning flu. I am a bit forced to focus on other priorities on my todo list.

XenFans has been upgraded to 1.1, the announcement of the 1.1 release has been posted and we invite everybody to come post on our site about their 1.1 experience and opinion.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.