Quick Site News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Quick Site News: Monday; March 7, 2011

The last half year I have been analyzing my ideas behind XenFans and the traffic to and from this web site. We're a great bunch of creative people with good community web sites and we're all in the same universe when it comes to bulletin board software systems and building or running communities. And we all are member on a lot of communities we all enjoy being a part of.

We support each other via contributions, sharing resources or helping out where we can.

I have been updating our 'goal' of what I want to achieve with the web site here for short and long term. And adjusting our strategy as we grow, and based on the natural flow of our community here.

One of the speculations I had was the company name, and as it turns out investing in xenfans.com for $9 was not a mistake. And another speculation was that we will see a 6 months beta stage. Overlaying my personal plans with this site I assumed that the stable release might be early Q2 or end of Q1 2011. (First I thought it would be sooner, but understandably the claims filed against them might have pushed things forward a bit).

With todays announcement by XenForo Limited we now know that on March 8th (tomorrow) we can expect the first stable release. Together with my plans for the site it's time for some minor changes to xenfans.com (some slightly announced earlier this month).

We had scheduled to increase some of our prices by the end of Q1 2011, with the release of XenForo 1 stable, I green flagged this. But my plan to increase our prices quarterly has been adjusted to be yearly now. Expect no further price increases this year. A few services we've invested in will be discontinued in April as well. And we might adjust the specifics of a few of our services as xenforo increases offering theirs.

Other changes such as products, styles and documentation, support, and whatever else we're offering will be rescheduled to have their life cycle increased, as well as to be developed faster. Now that we know the core engine of XenForo to only improve, and not just change (due to beta stage) we can invest in spec-policies to help bring consistency to our styles, add-ons, and such. In return for your contributions to our site, your membership and your donations, we share what we have the best we can. If we add a promoted users to our frontpage, expect us to release it as an add-on in Spring. If we introduce an April Fools Day style tweaks on our site, expect us to share it with our members before April 1st.

The Premium Accounts is an exclusive club and we're revamping it to as such. If you're interested in being part of the club please consider an account upgrade. This summer we will discontinue the premium account upgrade and extend everybody that ever became or is a premium member to expire on 31st of December 2011 (plans for 2012 are uncertain at this point and I don't desire to speculate).

With the increase of prices for our services and products, we return this to our premium members by increasing every discount from whatever it is to 50% at some point in Spring.

The above are a few changes that we will do internally and publicly. And they will not happen overnight, but a preview of what's to come this Spring/Summer is worth a mention.

Let's start by upgrading XenFans.com to the stable build first, and publish our monthly March newsletter on the 8th or 9th of March.

Talking about the newsletter, if you're interested in having your web site linked at the bottom of the March newsletter tomorrow, please contact me. It costs $25 but it will be mailed to over 450 people, and included in our newsletter thread where we publish our newsletter.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Tuesday; March 8, 2011

- Admin demo has been discontinued, XenForo.com now offers one.
- XenForo version 1 released, announcement here: http://xenfans.com/threads/xenforo-the-first-stable-release.808/
- XenFans.com newsletter mailed, http://xenfans.com/threads/newsletters.448/#post-4721
- XenFans.com Installation and Upgrade services sort of discontinued, XenForo.com offers them now. Bundled with a XenFans.com convert service the installation or upgrade option is offered at 50% off (done by XenFans.com).
- XenFans.com Mugs pre-order ended, the first batch arrived, shipping to buyers soon.
- XenFans.com base price and service prices going up one more time this year, announcement to follow.
- Breadcrumb now goes to 'Discover Content!' - leave the page running, it refreshes every 15 seconds.
- Content on the site is being changed to reflect the changes on xenforo.com and xenfans.com in the coming hours, days and week.

Floris

Staff member
Current quotes for converts are valid for those who requested a quote up until 9th of March 2011; from March 9th, 2011 onwards until the 31st of December 2011 the convert prices start at $49.

To calculate your own convert price and to request a quote: http://xenfans.com/quote/
Just fill in your amount of posts, your board url, select the board software and press calculate.

The quote is easy to copy paste and you can use it in a private msg, email or contact-us (see footer) ticket to provide xenfans quickly with your details.

Floris

Staff member
More news! What a busy day :)

See the "promoted" block on our frontpage? This has been in private beta testing, but with the release of XenForo 1 stable this will now be used live on our site and made available as an add-on to our Premium members as a free download. Regular members can get it for $12 - or in other words: Upgrade to premium (which also grants you access to all the other premium content (styles, addons, resources)).

Users will soon also be able to pay to upgrade their account to 'promoted', so their avatar will show as promoted on our frontpage. We will start with an introduction price, and 50% off for Premium account holders.

Stay tuned!

psssh, wanna fool your members on April fools? XenFans.com will soon introduce a sneak peak of the upcoming extra.css tweaks that will help you have a bit of fun on April 1st :) This will be a free download to all xenforo and xenfans members.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News; Wednesday; March 9, 2011

Unfortunately due to people being too busy with other tasks, internal policy changes and the introduction of XenForo stable we've undergone a few team changes in the last month.

Thank you Christopher, David, and Brian for your help during the first six months of XenFans.com; You're all great friends and I thank you for your support.

Nix has been promoted to Community Manager. Congratulations.
Mikey is still on our team, and is a forum super-moderator.
New to our team is a forum moderator: Vincent.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday; March 10, 2011

Our quarterly forum structure review has come to an end. And after taking your feedback under consideration we've been able to restructure the board forums a bit. Making it a more comfortable and logical browsing experience.

A first step has been made towards making the exclusive club. Including a link to Registered members to find out more about the Premium Account. (This link isn't visible to Premium members).

Resources are gathered at the bottom, XenForo content just above it. And at the top is the XenFans.com information and resources forum.

The jobs forum and the marketplace forum are merged into one. Please use the appropriate tags for your threads if you create one. Premium members can request to get new-thread privileges at no cost. Registered members might need a $3 for 3 days account update to get new-thread privileges.

The articles and interview forum got too little activity and great content is made available in their appropriate forums or our documentation. So I have decided to discontinue this particular forum. However, we're still looking to pay writers for specific content. This request is published in our news forum. The content of the now removed board is moved to their logical place within various forums.

This, and more behind the scene stuff, has been gathered up and completed in todays maintenance (we were closed for about 15 minutes) rather than a daily downtime. Thank you for your patience. And all done in anticipation for an upcoming board upgrade to 1.0.0 stable after the weekend.

There are a few styles being developed, and we're upgrading the existing ones to XenForo 1.0 stable. We're expecting them to be released in March still. Including a fun April Fools child-style.

And we're finalizing the private testing for the Promoted/ add-on which will soon be released to our Premium Members at no cost. (Registered members can get it for $12 (or .. upgrade to Premium Membership and enjoy even more resources).

With the release of XenForo 1 I invite everybody that released a resources on our site to review their release and test it on 1 stable, possibly updating it if it requires an update. Publishing your resources on our site gets you more feedback, more eye balls on it. It builds traffic to your site and builds your reputation.

Thank you all for your patience while we improve our sites, products and services. And share our resources with others so everybody benefits.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Saturday; March 12, 2011

In January we've deleted 1 user from the first 12 that registered, but didn't complete a profile or participated on the site. In February we've deleted a couple of users from the first 24 that registered, and now in March a few have been deleted matching that criteria. Obviously if you have 1 post, or more, this doesn't affect your account. Nor does it apply to you (yet) if you registered in 2011.

We're trying to build an active community with accurate statistics and desire users to participate. We're doing it manually, not automated and review each account. So there's no room for accidents. Users that did register early, but never got around to participate are obviously free to register again and become active.

Our intentions aren't to take away from the community, so in return for those who've invested in 2010 in a Premium Account and by now have one that has expired. Either contact me, or find your account (soon) to be updated to Premium again.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Thursday; March 17, 2011

Today we've reached our first 5,000 messages :) Thank you everybody for your participation on our community.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday; March 17, 2011

I've been able to figure out why some users were getting Dutch for PayPal, and have resolved this matter.
If anybody wants to know, account_upgrade has 3x </form> in front of the tag, add: <input type="hidden" name="lc" value="US"> to force English.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Wednesday; March 23, 2011

We finally had the time to upgrade the board from RC3 to Stable, please let us know if you find any issues with the site. :)

Additionally we've run maintenance on our MySQL database, and done some basic security feature reviews.

15 oldest users with no posts, no likes, no trophies, who were not in a premium usergroup, have been pruned. They're free to register again if they desire to participate in the community.

Premium Membership Updates

Today we've gone through the first batch of Premium Account Holders that have a premium account. We have extended the memberships that were to expire this month and next month for the following people: King Kovilor, Kier, Doctor, Caleb Spilchen, Elizabeth, George G Halstead, and Chimpie. Early April we will extend or renew the account for those who's account are set to expire before April 30th, 2011.

We've announced changes to the Premium account not too long ago, and we're happy to extend everybody their Premium account until the end of 2011. We process them in batches. If you received one for free, or paid for it - and no longer have access to the premium forums you'er free to contact me (and I will review the request).

A Premium Account upgrade grants users access to the marketplace / job board, and the premium forums, including its releases. Alongside a usertitle. And it's available for $14 from the navbar > account upgrades.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Monday; April 4, 2011

After a short break away from XenForo products, services, and the community to relax and get my energy back, I am back on track. Our team members have been on the site as usual. The April .css was released as scheduled, but other March items (after completing all the high priority March todo items first) have been moved to the April todo list. I will be back tomorrow to go through all the emails, private msgs, conversations, and threads published on the site. And catch up slowly on what all needs to be done. Sorry for the delay in response. And thank you for your patience.

I suspect that we will see 1.0.1 of XenForo to be released this week. We will wait for this, before doing any convert jobs. So we offer our visitors the latest build available in .sql when they move over. And this gives me the time to finish any pending converts from March.

The first few things on my list is to upgrade everything to 1.0.1, help people with their converts and other questions. Then finish the monthly Newsletter, and release something again to the community (probably the Valentines Style as a normal style so Premium Members can revamp it to their liking - yikes, that got a month delay!).

More maintenance such as pruning accounts with 0 posts, and extending the premium accounts etc will be picked up again as well.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Update:

Despite good intentions, I have not been able to do anything this week, or this weekend. A bit of the flu, and the ISP doing maintenance is a combination that prevents me from providing quality support and service.

Scheduled items for this month will be pushed into a few 'batch days' as we internally call them, and hopefully completed before the end of the month. Including a 'free for premium' style ..

Apologies to users who want to convert from board x to xenforo, that have pending private msgs or emails. Thank you for your patience.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Saturday; April 23, 2011

We've been reviewing the work that hasn't been done in April, and what we have to do for May. Just so we're back to getting organized again.

XenFans.com has released it's announcement about XenForo's 1.0.1 release, it is worth a read. You can find it in our inf:wave:news forum. We've also upgraded the board to 1.0.1, looking forward to 1.1 or 1.0.2 - we have yet to hear any confirmation (officially) about the next release (anybody know? Link us!).

The Newsletter was drafted for April, but not put into words. That's what we're working on this weekend - it's also scheduled to be mailed this Easter. Happy Easter everybody. To receive site mailings go to your preferences and set it to yes.

All emails and tickets have received a personalized follow up, and more converts have been completed by the team. It's great to see such an interest in XenForo by board owners that are looking for a modern update to their community. Private Message still need to be processed, hopefully I get around to it this weekend, but it's scheduled for Tuesday. Apologies again to everybody that's waiting for a response.

The development area is being prepared for style updates, development, and to prepare fez his contributed style that we're releasing next week to our Premium members (at no cost).

principia

OMG Member
We've also upgraded the board to 1.0.1, looking forward to 1.1 or 1.0.2 - we have yet to hear any confirmation (officially) about the next release (anybody know? Link us!).
some days ago Kier told about 1.02

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Friday; May 13, 2011

XenFans.com has granted Xen-TR.com permission to publish translations (under conditions) of public xenfans made releases.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fifty of the oldest users who had exactly 0 messages (ignoring Premium users) have been pruned.

The oldest users who donated to our site, were upgraded to premium, or otherwise obtained a premium account upgrade were set to expire the last and this month. So far, the following users have their have premium account extended at no cost until the 31st of December, 2011. Thank you for your contribution to the site, winning little forum games, or for your donation to the site: Doctor, KingKovifor, Caleb Spilchen, elizabeth, George G Halstead, Chimpie, jonsidneyb, Ingenious, cam2, Pyro, George G Halstead, Cezz, Jamie, Daniel Alicea, goblues, allan, Caelum.

The next batch of user pruning and premium user upgrades is scheduled for the end of the month.

Users can prevent account deletion in the future by having 1 or more messages. And anybody getting a Premium account upgrade before July will have the expiry date set to Dec 31 '11.

Bartman

OMG Member
Requiring posts in order to keep your account will probably solicit "hey great post exclamation mark exclamation mark" spam. Think of me as one of those crazy old people... I strongly believe in not posting when I *don't* have something interesting to say (which imo includes this post tbh) :)

Floris

Staff member
Requiring posts in order to keep your account will probably solicit "hey great post exclamation mark exclamation mark" spam. Think of me as one of those crazy old people... I strongly believe in not posting when I *don't* have something interesting to say (which imo includes this post tbh) :)

We want people to register in order to participate. They're free to register again in the future if they decide to become active.

We do not want 'spammy threads', we're actively moderating those already since the start.
If someone registers, we assume they have a desire to participate.

We also rather display more realistic statistics, than just a bulk number.

Bartman

OMG Member
Don't forget they will also stop receiving your newsletters, and out of sight unfortunately tends to mean out of mind on the interweb :)

Floris

Staff member
We provide frequent updates - all newsletters are published here as well, and we have site updates like these. I believe we give people enough headsup warning.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

The newsletter has been mailed, and the users have been informed last month and this month. Soon we will discontinue the Premium Membership in it's current form (well, you won't be able to buy one again). And we will redirect xenforo services to xfservices.com (run by Mikey, one of our team members).

We're prepping articles, content, and interesting discussions, and we're hoping that board owners, staff members and forum users are interested in sharing their tips, opinions, and share their resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.