The boring thread of: I have to really clean a few things (part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Caught up with new dishes I made, did the plates and frying pans, and cups/mugs. What's left is forks/knifes. Didn't have the energy.

Did laundry, I collected everything I could that's just lying around and should just be done. And it's in the dryer now.

Aired out the apartment a bit.

50% of the kitchen surface area could be cleaned, so did that.

Replaced the filter in the britta water filter pitcher thing.

Sprayed the cupboards and wiped them off after a few minutes, so instead of a quick wipe with used moist rag, now it at least got done with cleaning crap. Then used a wet fibre cloth to rinse & wipe dry.

I thought things were fine, but now I sit down and I feel "weak", so much fun.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Rubbish out
some washing up started
clothings washing in and another load on
coffee had
parcels wrapped up for vinted
rent paid

Floris

Staff member
dryer is done, folded the stuff up
ordered food, cancelled the rest of my day :D

Floris

Staff member
did a few dishes,
threw trash out,
went into town,
dead inside, going to bed soon.

Floris

Staff member
Just now I've finished removing all the items from a cup board in the kitchen (bottom left) and review what items are in there, which I want to keep, throw/give away. And then I sprayed the sides, etc. And rinse/wipe it off. And put everything back in it, looks better. But I have no energy to do the other side. So maybe tomorrow.

Anything I didn't want to keep I gifted to my niece/sister, and threw the rest out, together with full trash bin.

Quickly cleaned the sink in the bathroom since it looked dirty.

Maybe if I get my energy back I will do more in a few hours, but seeing how it wore me out yesterday I doubt it.

Floris

Staff member
- finished laundry,
- put it in the dryer,
- did 5 minutes of dishes, still have cutterley to do

Floris

Staff member
Completed dishes, only handful of foodprep boxes left. Cleaned kitchen surface area, stove is next,tomorrow probably.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Recycling out
Food waste out
Rubbish out
Washing up 1/2 done
Sides cleared
Table 1/2 cleared
Loo cleaned
Thats all so far...

Floris

Staff member
nice work nix !

all i've done after this morning was have lunch and do dishes again to stay current.
oh and I threw dirty laundry in the washing machine, but that's about it. didn't start it, forgot, lol

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Lots to do tomorrow, got to clean the kitchen in the morning, then Tesco delivery in afternoon and cooking afterwards, followed by cleaning of kitchen again!

Floris

Staff member
i kept cleaning the kitchen after each use, and now I made spaghetti and kitchen is a mess again, I give up, I'm just gonna throw things out instead of cleaning it :D

Floris

Staff member
- aired out apartment
- emptied cup board in kitchen (the other one) and threw out the stuff I didn't want to keep
- I didn't clean that stuff, it was too much, stupid life.
- caught up with dishes, but it wasn't a lot
- finished laundry for the bed covers and the thin blanket
- finished dryer on those things

Floris

Staff member
- the groceries were delivered, but i am not feeling great, so I just put it away quick and went back to bed
- did some dishes after lunch, wasn't much
- gathered up some trash so it looks nicer in the kitchen
- aaand that's about it.

Floris

Staff member
Friday at 12, they're going to install a smart meter, the little room they need access to needs to get cleaned, emptied out, and the hallways need to be cleaned and emptied out, and maybe some tidying up in the livingroom and it wouldn't hurt if the bathroom sink and the toilet bowl is cleaned.

It's Tuesday now, I just removed whatever is in the little room where the meter is. So they have access, I just need to wipe the floor and maybe remove some of the collected dust from the walls as it's still pretty dusty after the renovation earlier this year.

- The stuff is now in the hallway 2.

The hallway 1 (entrance) is empty enough, I just need to clean the floor.

The hallway 2 is a ladder, door, empty bags, and an old blanket that needs to be thrown out, so easy to do today.

I will also try to stay ahead of the dishes, so will do those in a little bit as well.

Just writing this out here, so I don't forget, and I get a bit of an overview.

edit 1
- Cleaned toilet bowl
- Cleaned bathroom sink
- Cleaned floor in bathroom
- Tidied up the kitchen a bit
- Moved empty bags out of the hallway, and the ladder

Body is already done now, time for a break, or whatever. At least something's done.

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
I cleaned up the hallways, just didn't do the floors yet.
And I made sure the doors to the busy rooms are able to get closed now.
I've gathered up the dishes, just didn't do them, it was 29c in my apartment, screw this :D

Floris

Staff member
did dishes
cleaned cup board
put the stuff back into it
body is complaining.

Floris

Staff member
- made sure dishes are done
- stove cleaned
- mokka pot cleaned
- fridge organized now that it's emptier again (already! pout)
- cleaned the floors a bit
- gathered up the laundry
- threw trash out downstairs
- cleaned floor in toiletroom and toiletbowl again
- cleaned the sink in the bathroom
- spent 1 minute tidying bedroom, I see no difference haha
- next is gathering up clothes in the livingroom and move them out of sight into bedroom
- next is coffee and relaxing

I feel I am ready for tomorrow, we will see how it goes.

Floris

Staff member
- Cleaned bathroom, toiletroom, both a bit better.
- Had a shower
- Tidied my bed for once
- Tidied the kitchen
- Aired out the apartment

Next is to take a little bit of a rest before getting dressed properly, then moving a few boxes to trash downstairs, check the mail box on the way back up, and to do the final dishes after some breakfast.

Then I will just idle-wait for the people to show up that will work on the heater/smartmeters.

edit:
- did the dishes
- had breakfast
- tidied kitchen surface area
- cleaned the water butterfly lever thingy that was all greasy but we might need to turn off/on today

Guess I will go get dressed and move those boxes downstairs.

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
- dishes done, minus a pot and a pan

edit 1
- I've finally gone through two planks in the other room, and picked up all the papers there and organized it between "keep this / trash that".

This was a huge mental block for me, it's nice the first step is taken. I now have a free plank, and a more organized plank of papers. In the future the organized papers will be easier to put in binders.

And the next plank with papers hopefully will be done soon. And if I have stuff standing on the floor that can go to the empty plank, I will sort that out as well.

baby steps right :/

edit 2
- Had lunch, then ..

- Gathered up the paperwork from mom and dad, and the legal crap that brother has caused, and put it all in a box, sealed the box and put a note on it "mom & dad, important stuff, do not delete ever!" and put it in my storage room. Another mental block gone, and I can start processing that mentally and let it go.

edit 3
- And final thing for the day (I will merge my posts soon). I've sorted out some cash money that needed sorting out. Went into town and everything.

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
I don't know how I did it, but I did it..

I found paperwork I needed, and I found contracts and legal notices, and account details, etc, that I couldn't find before.

Another plank in the closet in the other room is empty, I have sorted out that batch of paperwork too, that's plank 3, one bag left and then onwards to the next 5 year long todo item. This is unfortn. just the beginning, but like I said, a huge mental step to take (on various levels).

In the future at some point I go through it and move company a in map a, etc, but at least now 'dont throw this out' is together, and 'throw this out' is in bin liners to be thrown out later.

My fingers literally hurt from going through all this paperwork, I hate to think about the fact that I have 2 bin liners full of paperwork in the other closet idle, waiting to get sorted.

The `maps` to put the paperwork in, I have those, I got loads of those, so that's not the problem, it is the effort of doing it, haha.

I tried to keep the most important paperwork on one pile, so I know where it is, knowing there shouldn't be any in the other pile.
And anything official, like from the gov/city/lawyer that is binding and forever, I moved to my little save-spot. where I keep all that sorta stuff.

By the way, @Nix @Mikey fun fact; I just found a cease and desist notice for vbulletin-styles.com when MGM posted 'how to get a free crockpot from wallmart', and how we were almost sued by them for causing damages to wallmart. lol. And I found my Jelsoft contract as well, it was fun to read through.

Miles312

Trusted Member
@Floris
Editing because I accidentally hit post too soon!
What do you use for organizing digital paperwork? I am trying to evolve my system and recently bought a scanner.

My sister is working on scanning thousands of family and event photos, which will be interesting to organize. We are hoping to just start with a naming convention, and expand from there. We're starting with YYYY.MM.DD.Event.Person and whatever we don't know, just fill in what we do and expand from there.
Not exactly cleaning, but digital cleaning!

----

For real cleaning, wife and I are doing a deeper clean on all the public spaces. She is keeping a family friend's kid soon ( <6mo old ) and unexpectedly. Scrubbing floors, vacuuming furniture, and some light rearrangement. Beyond that just usual catch-up weekend things: dishes, laundry, its trash-day every Sunday so that goes with it. Beyond that we need to take off some donation items that family didn't want.

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
What do you use for organizing digital paperwork?
I used a third party app, but with the ai power in iOS, the sorting of documents that I need a copy of inside Notes app seems to do the job. Anything "important" that is also required to stay safe/encrypted, such as NDA contract or certain bank login details, I store as secure file inside 1password app. Everything else I keep as paperwork into a safe spot offline. So I know sneaky hackers can't get their hands on it. I also try to organize things in Notion - as it has a database feature basically that's very dynamic, so I can tailor it to my daily needs.

Editing because I accidentally hit post too soon!
Editing is fine :) I do it all the time.

My sister is working on scanning thousands of family and event photos
Yeah my sister made this promise as well, but we made the step after losing our parents in 2019/2021, that she's the central point for that data, so it's not spread around everywhere. And when she gets around to it, she will make copies and whatnot, and we just share in the cost and get a copy of it. digital or offline, we will find out what we believe is best.

For my personal stuff, I store it in a DO-NOT-DELETE-EVER folder, basically. haha. and then I split it up in something like
/media/
/media/photos/
/media/movies/
/files/
/backups/timemachine/computername/
/backups/manual/extracopy-ofcertainfiles/
etc

And I split dirs up in personal/public/private, it will be private by default, until I decided if it's okay to publicly share, or if they are personal, .. for example, a public Instagram picture, versus a private family photo.

And I split up those dirs by year, or a range of years, depending on how much data is in there. this way I can just dump the pictures in a year, and deal with it later, but at least I know when I find it, based on the dir name, if it is recent, old, a copy, and if it is personal or private.

It sounds pretty complex, but it really isn't. and is it messy? yes, it still is. over the years you have multiple systems, and multiple backups, you end up with multiple duplicates, and not just in filenames like image001.raw, but also copy of a copy, and an edited version, and later Instagram version. it's tough to figure out which one is the original, or the corrected one that you wanna keep.

when I have time, I do try to name my files, videos I prefix with tags like master-appname-category-filename... and photos like original-iphone-category-filename .. but 9/10 times I forget to do it, or just focussed on the task, and not on file management.

But storage is cheap, and i rather have 3 copies or 30 copies, than. If I ever run into the duplicates, i quickly review it, potentially find more from older backups and purge what i don't need and keep the one, rename it, ..

anything important that i should never delete, like nda contract or some legal document, i tend to make sure it has a human readable filename, and i include -DND at the end of the filename (do not delete). so i don't accidentally delete it when i select like 1000+ files. because i can tell the scripts on macos to exclude files with -dnd in them.

For real cleaning, wife and I are doing a deeper clean on all the public spaces.
Welcome to OMG cleaning! :D

We have this thread to share exactly this, .. and to maybe help others remember they should clean windows or water plants as well haha. But also to find inspiration and motivation to do better, even if it's just 5 minutes a day. You will find this an active thread, and i make it mainly for myself (i mean, i post here for myself) knowing it's public, so i feel like i then have to actually do it, it's a way to hold myself accountable i guess.

Floris

Staff member
- woke up, did the dishes right away, not a hobby I like.

- Airing out the apartment

- Rotated my plants 45 degrees so they get some sunlight on different parts of the plants.

- Organized the storage box for important paperwork, so I know what's in the box, as well as making it a little easier to find stuff.

- Makes some plans for dealing with the little bit of space that I've created on the planks (shelves! they're called shelves floris) in the room where I organized the paperwork the last few days. Hopefully another step towards tidying and cleaning up.

- Cleaned the shelves that are empty now, boy they were dusty.

- Threw the trash out that have started to gather up.

it's 1pm, I guess I skipped breakfast, so time for lunch. Toast and beans.

Floris

Staff member
- ppfff, that was a lot of work.

Made a pasta sauce for food prep, and a bag of tube pasta. It's split over 3 days, tonight, and 2 more days for the fridge.

When I go get some fresh groceries tomorrow I will get some m-meat to mixin for the other two, and a fresh salad that I can use for breakfast, day after for lunch, but in the evenings along with the pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.