Quick Site News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Quick Site Update: Thursday; December 30, 2010

Announcing minor price changes for the xenfans services and products for the first quarter of 2011.

These prices are in effect from January 1st 2011, if you've already shown an interest and we gave you a quote, we will obviously stick to the old pricing.

Originally we had intended to up the non-refundable base price from $5 to $9, but we're going with $8.
The refundable service price goes up with three dollars as well, such as the convert service from $24 to $27.

Example: XenFans Convert Service : $35
($8 base price, $27 convert service - up to 250,000 posts)
(every 250,000 posts on top of that is $10)

You can find all our services here: http://xenfans.com/pages/services/
Can't find the service? Just ask us!

Floris

Staff member
In other news, during November and December we've worked on the Moderator manual and are prepping it for publication. From January on we will be releasing them individually every other day or so. Feel free to read them over, leave comments, contribute to it if you feel something's missing, or make a demo video for us to include.

The user-guide is already there, the mod-guide is coming, and they're great resources for your beginning members and staff to link to; For them to learn the new XenForo system. And of course, for yourself a great refresh course to make sure you learn the ins and outs of the XF forum you're running.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Friday; January 7, 2011

We've had some Scheduled Downtime yesterday and completed our tasks. We've also finished some more imports, and have time to help again. Thank you for your patience.

We have also upgraded the style again after we've upgraded to beta 5 of XenForo. In preparation of Beta 6 (or RC1?).

Other minor changes are internal, such as improving our internal documentation, developers area and preparing a preview area for members and a more automated convert and management system. Oh, and I wrote a calculator to quickly get a quote for a convert service request.

Our December todo list is with this at about 85%, and the remaining 15% got pushed to January's todo list. As always: More to come (such as the January newsletter which is ALL about our contributing members ;)).

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Monday; January 17, 2011

We've recently upgraded to XenForo beta 6, and mailed out our Monthly newsletter. We've made great progress organizing the site and going through the staff forums to help update our todo items, which are linked to milestones and a roadmap. We're very excited about the slow but sure changes for 2011. And yes, slow, because we're not in a rush.

Since it's a new year I hereby think it's important to point out to users that web site and personal security is important - as important as having a back up. Therefor I invite you to go through your profile. Do you have the right username? Is your email valid, and working? Is your profile filled in and up to date? Are your privacy settings as they should be? And finally I invite you to consider changing your password as a precaution - and to use a hard to guess one. (As sysadmin you can also consider doing the same for your hosting account, email, ftp, ssh, etc - xenfans actually offers linux sysadmin support jobs if you need help)

Once done, if you run a forum: Back it up! Just make a folder on your own computer called 'backup example.com January 2011' and inside it put the .sql dump of the database(s) your site uses, and a dump of your forum directory (so you have all the attachments, etc).

We are having a bit of bad luck with the development of the Premium add-on 'Promotion' which was scheduled for a Christmas release, so if you're a developer experienced with XenForo - please contact me :)

The writing for the mod-guide documentation has basically been completed and is being added to the xenforo site here, and we're just preparing some pictures - after which it will be made live one by one. After this we're ready to start inviting writers to create guides, articles, interviews, documentation on our behalf, for pay. So stay tuned!

So, consider your security, back up your data, and participate on the site! 2011 is just starting and we're excited about this year.

Floris

Staff member
Another site update today:

Our terms of services have been updated slightly with the introduction of our site-feedback forum. The topic appended is about name changes; and reads:

We allow name changes up to a couple of times per year. Please create a new discussion called '[Request] Name change' in the 'site feedback' forum, and include a reason. One of our team members will review the request and per our discretion accept or decline it.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Friday; January 21, 2011

Announcement published with more details about the XenForo release candidate.
http://xenfans.com/threads/xenforo-reaches-next-milestone-release-candidate.442/

XenFans.com has updated their convert service to support the release candidates (no price increase) and their internal development area to support product development. Our newly created admin demo will be RC1 as well. The public web site is scheduled to be upgraded after the weekend due to my birthday on the 21st of January.

We are looking for article writers and xenforo developers, if you want to earn a bit of money writing for us pleasecontact us and we can discuss what we can mean for each others. With the stable release a step closer we're looking forward to expanding our site content as well.

And we are looking for your feedback about XenForo, our web site, and your own community. Please let us know what your thoughts and experiences are. If you have any questions about RC1, we can write documentation, step by step guides, or create a visual walkthrough video (at no cost) - just let us know.

Floris

Staff member
Set an alert for Saturday, limited XenFans mugs pre-order week starts. With discounts for team members, premium members, supporting members AND registered members. The XenFans web site wants to order a few more mugs near Valentine and we could extend our order adding yours. We're offering them a bit cheaper to our first 500 members (so register today if you haven't already, we're at 415 now), as we have an anonymous donor for February and to celebrate that we were able to pay our hosting bill thanks to (well, my saving account) and your donations.

Details and pricing will follow.

Talking about Valentine, if you are considering buying a XenForo license, we're offering a 5 slot unique bundle for 14th of February, we're offering a discount on a XenForo license and XenFans services, including xenfans account upgrades.

We will publish all details in our information / news forum, so make sure you're subscribed, and we will mail all our 'receive site mailings' members a few days before the 14th. To keep things fair I thought this heads up was in place. By the way, any individual or company that desires to reach 400 XenForo fans via our monthly newsletter can contact me. In 2011 we now have the option to include a single sponsored link to your web site / company site. Our February (to December) slots are currently open. I think if you're selling mods or styles, it's the perfect opportunity to reach your audience.

I also want to welcome and thank everybody that participated in our holiday give-away last December, http://xenfans.com/threads/373/ The iPod is on route to our winner who received a PC from me by now, including track/trace number.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Saturday; January 22, 2011

The [help] tab in the navigation bar is now replaced with (?).
The [logout] link in the navigation bar has been removed, since it's already in the account dropdown.
A new [Directory] link has been made public, giving users access to our public directory listing.

About the directory listing, it's free. We will list you at no cost. Upon request we will see if you perhaps link on your site to us, if so, we will make your linking a link. By default all listings end up on the second page, unless a featured listing is requested. We decided to give Premium members a 100% discount on featured listing, and only ask $3 from registered members.

Listings are basically without expiry date, if this changes in the future is unsure. We review randomly throughout the year to check if linked sites still link back to us, and are still online.

Another site update today : The ordering of the forums has slightly changed in preparation for the next update.

Floris

Staff member
A small update.

To help keep things a bit organized and usable we've archived the 2010 newsletter thread (still visible) and created one for the 2011 newsletters; http://xenfans.com/threads/newsletters.448/

We've got the February newsletter prepared (well, we're making progress), and scheduled it for February the 10th or 11th.

Floris

Staff member
And the last update for today:

Our terms and services have been updated slightly to be more accurate. Appended to our ToS are the username rules. At this point we're happy with the content (not the markup) of our Terms of Services for Q1 2011, and assume everybody logging in and contributing to our site to have read and agreed to the new ToS which are effective immediately. The next update is scheduled for Q2 2011, and prepared during February and March.

Thank you for understanding that we're a hobby web site and not a company, and are building as we go. If you have any suggestions to our Terms of Services or the way we do things you're obviously free to contact us (link in footer).

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Tuesday; January 25, 2011

Upgraded the board to XenForo 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1.
There are a few known issues with the theme, which I will work on later :)

Floris

Staff member
A small update:

You can now leave feedback about the site via the tweet button on the frontpage. It's also possible to recommend your friends to come visit xenfans.com via the Facebook recommend button. Your support is appreciated.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Friday; January 28, 2011

Today I've gone through the moderator documentation that Nix wrote and putting it up live on the site here: http://xenfans.com/pages/moderator-guide/

And requested the community for tips on what documentation they expect us to cover; to participate in that discussion go here: A request for your input :) (documentation)

The new category is up, splitting the xenfans content in two; the top is about the site and it's content, and the bottom is about the free/paid services and products, and resources, that we're offering.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Tuesday; February 8, 2011

With Valentines Day around the corner, the introduction of the admin demo, and the upgrade to RC2, we're now preparing the February Newsletter and are secretly celebrating having reached 500 discussions.

We are making progress with the two add-ons for XenFans users, 1) Welcome Blocks, and 2) Promoted Accounts. While in their infancies, we're excited to share the code we have (soon).

Keep an eye out for the newsletter if you have been posting on our site, your contributions are not going unnoticed, and you might just get a shout out.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site Update: Friday; February 11, 2011

Today we've put the finishing touches on our secret Valentine's Day project, which by now is known to be the XenFans Valentines Theme for XenForo 1.0. Available on the 12th of February as a free download to all registered members.

We've also finally gotten around to opening a slot for writers interested in submitting an article about how to use the style system in the admin area. Hopefully in March we can offer another slot, maybe even two.

And the monthly newsletter has been mailed out (mentioning the above) to 418 subscribers.

A small update regarding the products we're working on.
- XenFans Theme One (name undecided) is at 50% completion.
- XenFans Valentines Theme is at 80% completion, and will be available the 12th, at no cost
- XenFans Popular Content Add-on is downloadable for Premium members, and will get an update in March, but currently works with RC2.
- XenFans Promoted Add-on is downloadable to a few select Premium members, and under heavy development, and is expected to see an alpha/beta release in March.
- XenFans Welcome Block Add-on is downloadable as Template Mod, and is 80% completed, and is expected to see a beta release in February (free download).
- XenFans Mugs are not yet ordered, we're still hoping to hear from you guys if you're interested in one or more at a unique discount before we order them. We expect them to order, ship and arrive them (UK) in March.
- XenFans Internal Tools (Helper, Quote, Config Generator, etc) are still under development, and will be introduced during March
- Other things such as the Import/Convert service with a Preview Area, the free XenForo Admin Demo, and other services and tools are being optimized during February and available right now.

We thank everybody for signing up on our site, enjoying the products and resources that we share, but also that you and other xenforo customers share on our site. And we're looking forward doing an even better job in March.

For February our focus is on providing the best service to help you install, upgrade, or convert to XenForo, to work on improving our services, tools and resources, and to finalize the moderator guide and processing user-feedback that we've received in 2010. And of course, in the mean time we will be having fun posting on the site, and talking to everybody on the site.

So keep posted, keep posting, and enjoy XenForo. Don't forget to let us know your XenForo powered site, or ask us how we can help you. And if you learned something, publish it as a tip or guide, or perhaps if you have written a product, add-on or template tweak - to share it with the rest of us.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Thursday; February 17, 2011
We had to do some system maintenance, apologies for the sluggish loading of the site the last hour, and thank you for your patience.​

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Saturday; February 19, 2011

It seems we were not the only ones planning maintenance. International routing was being worked on making our site sluggish or unreachable to some IP ranges. Apologies for that.

Floris

Staff member
Site maintenance should be resolved now. Apologies!

The Valentine's Day Style by XenFans.com is being converted from 'cdn version' to a 'self-hosted version' and made available for $12 to Registered Members, and as a free download to Premium Account holders.

The Simply Blue Style by XenFans.com has been released for $12 to Registered Members, and is a free download to Premium Account holders.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Tuesday; February 22, 2011

Fixed a nasty bug in a template modification that I use here, which only seems to show on old Internet Explorer and Opera, thankfully nobody uses those browsers ;) ;)

Floris

Staff member
We've upgraded XenFans.com to XenForo v1, release candidate 3. And will soon publish a full announcement regarding rc3.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Wednesday; February 23, 2011

The vBulletin 3 / 4 blog entries to XenForo threads/posts convert service has been discontinued. We had too little amount of requests for it, and it's too time consuming for the amount of money we were asking for it.

Helping you convert your board from vBulletin 4 or vBulletin 3 (or phpBB, IPB, MyBB, SMF, etc) to XenForo will continue as usual.

Floris

Staff member
Quick Site News: Wednesday; March 2, 2011

XenFans.com is now 6+ months old, and we almost have 500 registered members. My roadmap has a milestone with todo items, one being that we desire to prune 0 posters under certain criteria.

If you registered and haven't posted yet we invite you to participate to prevent possible account deletion. The March batch will be "everybody (limit 50) that registered 150 days (or more) ago, and have exactly 0 posts".

If you registered more recently you should be fine, especially if you have participated in the community.

March is also the first month where the first batch of Premium Accounts will expire, we will be reviewing those soon as I am planning on extending them at no cost (as I've recently announced).

Status
Not open for further replies.